Veterinary Experience--Working Directly with a Vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alpaperart

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So... I have over a thousand hours vet experience but I just checked the FAQ for Purdue University and it says that:

"What are some examples that would meet the veterinary experience requirement?
Veterinary experience is gained while working directly with a veterinarian. This can range from on the job shadowing to working with a veterinarian as an assistant in a clincial, research or regulatory setting."

Most of the vet experience I have is working with technicians and I've also spent a lot of time with vets but most of it is with technicians... I work at a specialty practice so I don't spend all my time with the vets--I spend a lot of time with techs and other assistants. I worked in the Neuro department and was an assistant so the techs spent more time with the doctors than I did. I've also helped out in ER a lot and have had the opportunity to work directly with doctors there and have asked them a lot of questions.

Now I'm wondering about the strength of my application since I don't have as much time directly working with vets as I should?
 
Call up Purdue and ask.

I would count what you described as vet experience. It's a chain of command. Everyone works under the vet who makes the medical decisions.
So, while you may be supervised by the techs, you're working on tasks that have been ordered by the vet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The general rule of thumb is that if the activity is under supervision of a licensed veterinarian (or under technicians that are supervised by a veterinarian), then it counts as veterinary experience. Technically, I would think that both you and the technicians are under the umbrella of veterinary supervision.