SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Veterinary limited licensure debate

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by sheep girl, Jun 2, 2008.

1. sheep girl

sheep girl LSU SVM c/o 2012 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2008
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Pointer1330

Pointer1330 2+ Year Member

May 5, 2008
    I agree with the guy in the article - I think it's sad and a diverse education is a good thing, but I think that each particular specialty is gotten complex enough that it will come to individual licensures. I'm especially for it if the price of schooling will go down. I honestly think that it's only a matter of time before this happens.
  4. Nexx

Nexx 2 weeks and counting 5+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    Sounds like a 'good' idea, but probably won't be feasible as a 'vet school' DVM-type degree.

Really... you want students to pick an ultimate career path to spend money on for 2 years? Some people want to go to large animal because they think "horses are magical creatures" but perhaps haven't really worked with them. Now they go and waste two years on an independent track and find out they hate the job, now you're still in the same boat again.

Foreign vets sounds more likely. Or perhaps the government might not be so short sighted and push along the development of a few more Vet schools at public institutions or... I don't know, give them a bit more incentive to choose large animal/food production besides the crazy hours, long drives and lower pay.

Just a couple random thoughts...
  5. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Athens, GA
    Ugh! This idea stinks BIGTIME! The solution while not clear.

a) Increase students numbers by creating more schools.
    b) Increase salaries and/or absolve loan dept for students working in critical areas.

Money..the ultimate motivator.

Why O Why?? do they think using a human medicine system of education works. Have you ever talked to a human doctor about their education? They say it many problems.

And I agree with you Nexx. So when they get out (or drop out) and realize they no longer want to do LA, they go back for another 2 years for SA and then you still dont have enough vets graduating.