Veterinary Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjmst

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about veterinary medicine education?
Are there residencies?
How long are they?
Are there really only 26 schools?
What's the $$$ like?
Any sites like this one devoted to pre-vets?

Vet school is definitely cheaper. I looked on Penn's website for some answers but it was too confusing. I was up all night writing a paper and I need the bottom line.:p

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about veterinary medicine education?
Some, I did it :)

Are there residencies?
Yes, Sx, internal med, Path, Lab. Animal, Zoo animal and others. BUT only about 25% of vets do residencies.

How long are they?
most are 3 years

Are there really only 26 schools?
26 or 27

What's the $$$ like?
depends what you do

Any sites like this one devoted to pre-vets?
not that I found

dvm

There are 27 vet schools in the United States. Soon there will be 28 because there is a new school in California called Western University that will be accepting its first class in 2003 I think. Since there are so few vet schools there is a lot more competition to get into vet school than med school. If you are looking for a field where you will become rich, veterinary medicine is not for you. From what I have heard you will be lucky if you start out making 50,000 dollars per year. It can be a lot less if you are a vet in a rural community or a large animal vet. As far as vet school being cheaper than med school that is really only the case if you go to school in state. If you do then it's about 7-10,000 dollars per year. Otherwise it can be as much as 35,000 dollars per year out of state. I know Penn is extremely expensive for out of state students. I am a first year vet student at Auburn University and I was not accepted to my state school. I am paying about 22,000 dollars per year out of state tuition, but that is on the low end for an out of state school. There is a pre-vet forum on about.com. The url is http://forums.about.com/ab-vetmedicine2/messages. I hope this helps you.