-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Veterinary or Medical Route
Started by DocFroggie
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The obvious solution to this issue is to now discuss bacon. How do we all feel about bacons of convenience, such as
Commence.
Commence.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the topic of euthanasia, each vet is gonna do what they deem best at that moment in time.
On the topic of going off topic, I love tangents, and that is even relevant to another thread!!
On the topic of bacon, I am for it. 100%.
On the topic of going off topic, I love tangents, and that is even relevant to another thread!!
On the topic of bacon, I am for it. 100%.
Go to med school, because of this thread.
I see you haven't been over to the pre-med forums, probably for the best.
The obvious solution to this issue is to now discuss bacon.
I am so stealing that!!! Bacon is one of my main food groups. Someone needs to get on making bacon cheaper, and stat
i was at a privately owned farm last week (small sustainable farm) and the owner/veterinarian raises 3 pigs each year and has found that she can sell bacon at $10/lb!!I am so stealing that!!! Bacon is one of my main food groups. Someone needs to get on making bacon cheaper, and stat
I'm making Italian meatloaf later this week, and I'm not using bacon.
I'm using pancetta.
Which is like fatty, glorious, Italian bacon.
I'm using pancetta.
Which is like fatty, glorious, Italian bacon.
I'm making Italian meatloaf later this week, and I'm not using bacon.
I'm using pancetta.
Which is like fatty, glorious, Italian bacon.
Figuring out your address now so I can have some of this yummy dinner. I'll bring some alcohol of your choosing with me.
I haz a pretty black and white euthanasia policy.
If an owner wants to put a pet to sleep for ANY reason, I will do it unless I am personally willing to take responsibility for that animal. That includes taking the animal to the humane society, but I will only do so if I think the animal is a good candidate for adoption. I think euthanasia with me is much kinder than sending an animal to the shelter to be euthanized after failing the shelter system.
If an owner wants to put a pet to sleep for ANY reason, I will do it unless I am personally willing to take responsibility for that animal. That includes taking the animal to the humane society, but I will only do so if I think the animal is a good candidate for adoption. I think euthanasia with me is much kinder than sending an animal to the shelter to be euthanized after failing the shelter system.
The "tangent" was actually relevant, imo at least. I've had the same discussion/argument with several vets and peers. It's interesting and thought-provoking to see different views. To be honest, tangents are what keep like 90% of threads interesting.
On the topic of bacon, seriously, bacon for everyone. I'm eating some right now, at midnight, because college.
I'm fairly certain I've picked a path. Small feelings of"what if" will linger, I'm sure, but when left alone with my thoughts I always go back to the same thing. I had (an extremely, haha) long discussion with someone in the occupation, and it clicked. And the question relating to what can I see myself being happy with in 50 yrs really clicked. Plus one side is definitely romanticized, even if it's to a small degree it's still not an accurate picture. I posted mainly to see what others might have considered and get advice or insight. And to get outside opinions on what "should" or could possibly make me re-evaluate things, change my decision or make me reconsider the why behind it. Thanks everyone for your responses 🙂
On the topic of bacon, seriously, bacon for everyone. I'm eating some right now, at midnight, because college.
But now I really just want to be chowing down on some of this.I'm making Italian meatloaf later this week, and I'm not using bacon.
I'm using pancetta.
Which is like fatty, glorious, Italian bacon.
I'm fairly certain I've picked a path. Small feelings of"what if" will linger, I'm sure, but when left alone with my thoughts I always go back to the same thing. I had (an extremely, haha) long discussion with someone in the occupation, and it clicked. And the question relating to what can I see myself being happy with in 50 yrs really clicked. Plus one side is definitely romanticized, even if it's to a small degree it's still not an accurate picture. I posted mainly to see what others might have considered and get advice or insight. And to get outside opinions on what "should" or could possibly make me re-evaluate things, change my decision or make me reconsider the why behind it. Thanks everyone for your responses 🙂
.
Last edited:
So if she can do $10/lb with such a small scale production.....why am I paying $4/lb at the store? That bacon comes from multiple farms that are massive!i was at a privately owned farm last week (small sustainable farm) and the owner/veterinarian raises 3 pigs each year and has found that she can sell bacon at $10/lb!!
So if she can do $10/lb with such a small scale production.....why am I paying $4/lb at the store? That bacon comes from multiple farms that are massive!
Economies of scale. Giant operations can afford to sell for lower prices. Also, this lady can probably sell hers for a premium since it's small scale/boutique.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's my point. If 3 pigs = $10/pound, 1000s of pigs should be less than $4 a pound according to my imaginary math. I'd like to see bacon down to $2/pound by 2017. Vote for pp9.Economies of scale. Giant operations can afford to sell for lower prices. Also, this lady can probably sell hers for a premium since it's small scale/boutique.
I can imagine the pigs haven't been super thrilled about the rampant PED virus either.
She said she priced it high on hopes that fewer people would buy it so then she could eat more, buu people were unfazed hahaEconomies of scale. Giant operations can afford to sell for lower prices. Also, this lady can probably sell hers for a premium since it's small scale/boutique.
Or you can become a wildlife biologist the MS field experience PhD style route and get funding to go to school which means it'll be way less painful to get a low paying job afterwards... after all, Steve Irwin and Jane Goodall are not veterinarians.
Take a loooooong look at what the job markets look like, what alternative careers you can pursue with each degree, the financial feasibility (believe me when I say it'll matter to you a lot more when you graduate), and what you are actually looking for in a job.
You might be surprised to find that the things you enjoy in a job (eg travel, learning, making meaningful contributions) can be found in a number of other career paths and you should explore those as much as medicine before you make a decision. Don't forget, too, a MD/PhD can lead you down non-clinical career paths (think research, public policy, industry, etc etc)
In a nutshell: Vet med can be fantastic but you have to REALLY be in 100% love with it for it to be as rewarding as people think.
Take a loooooong look at what the job markets look like, what alternative careers you can pursue with each degree, the financial feasibility (believe me when I say it'll matter to you a lot more when you graduate), and what you are actually looking for in a job.
You might be surprised to find that the things you enjoy in a job (eg travel, learning, making meaningful contributions) can be found in a number of other career paths and you should explore those as much as medicine before you make a decision. Don't forget, too, a MD/PhD can lead you down non-clinical career paths (think research, public policy, industry, etc etc)
In a nutshell: Vet med can be fantastic but you have to REALLY be in 100% love with it for it to be as rewarding as people think.
Last edited:
That's awesome lol.She said she priced it high on hopes that fewer people would buy it so then she could eat more, buu people were unfazed haha
I know the euthanasia discussion has kind of petered out, but I want to throw in that I love Colorado because we have a seemingly remarkable shelter system that euthanizes a small percentage of our dogs. Just under 7,000 dogs were euthanized when 101,000 were taken into shelters in 2013 (2014 numbers won't be available until about June/July). Those are pretty good odds.
I know the euthanasia discussion has kind of petered out, but I want to throw in that I love Colorado because we have a seemingly remarkable shelter system that euthanizes a small percentage of our dogs. Just under 7,000 dogs were euthanized when 101,000 were taken into shelters in 2013 (2014 numbers won't be available until about June/July). Those are pretty good odds.
Pure curiosity: Do they break down those numbers by reason? It's more interesting to know what percentage were euthanized because of space/cost issues as opposed to medical/behavioral reasons. (Either way it's pretty decent... I'm just curious.)
I know the euthanasia discussion has kind of petered out, but I want to throw in that I love Colorado because we have a seemingly remarkable shelter system that euthanizes a small percentage of our dogs. Just under 7,000 dogs were euthanized when 101,000 were taken into shelters in 2013 (2014 numbers won't be available until about June/July). Those are pretty good odds.
101,000 what? Total dogs? Total healthy dogs? Unhealthy but treatable dogs? Unhealthy but manageable dogs? Does that include dogs they immediately determine as unhealthy and don't have to include?
Pure curiosity: Do they break down those numbers by reason? It's more interesting to know what percentage were euthanized because of space/cost issues as opposed to medical/behavioral reasons. (Either way it's pretty decent... I'm just curious.)
Unfortunately, the PACFA reports don't get that specific. On the data sheet, it just says "euthanized". Granted, there are also other categories including "DOA--Dead on Arrival" and "Death while in shelter care". But for the purposeful euthanasias, there were just under 7,000.
101,000 what? Total dogs? Total healthy dogs? Unhealthy but treatable dogs? Unhealthy but manageable dogs? Does that include dogs they immediately determine as unhealthy and don't have to include?
It was 101,000 total dogs taken into all Colorado shelters over the course of the entire 2013 year. They have to report every dog that comes in and under what reason the dog is being admitted for, and then subsequently list why/how the dog left (returned to owner, adopted, euthanasia, transfer, etc). So there is a category for owners surrendering, the dog was seized from the owner, stray, transfer from another in-state shelter, transfer from an out of state shelter, etc. And they compensate for the dogs being transferred between shelters in state so the same dog doesn't get counted twice.
Unfortunately, the PACFA reports don't get that specific. On the data sheet, it just says "euthanized". Granted, there are also other categories including "DOA--Dead on Arrival" and "Death while in shelter care". But for the purposeful euthanasias, there were just under 7,000.
It was 101,000 total dogs taken into all Colorado shelters over the course of the entire 2013 year. They have to report every dog that comes in and under what reason the dog is being admitted for, and then subsequently list why/how the dog left (returned to owner, adopted, euthanasia, transfer, etc). So there is a category for owners surrendering, the dog was seized from the owner, stray, transfer from another in-state shelter, transfer from an out of state shelter, etc. And they compensate for the dogs being transferred between shelters in state so the same dog doesn't get counted twice.
That's good. Sometimes you really have to look at the numbers because there are various ways they can look better than they are, such as stating "healthy" dogs, which then excludes any ill or injured animal. Usually they don't do that but some random websites might. It is always nice to see the numbers getting better.
That's good. Sometimes you really have to look at the numbers because there are various ways they can look better than they are, such as stating "healthy" dogs, which then excludes any ill or injured animal. Usually they don't do that but some random websites might. It is always nice to see the numbers getting better.
I totally agree. I double checked the whole transfer between shelters in state thing because that can influence numbers pretty drastically, depending on how you skew them. I was actually looking up these numbers last fall because I was interested to see the euthanasia rates among one of our big name shelters out here that gets a lot of funding compared to other shelters in the area that are of similar size. Their marketing is superb, I have to give them that. I wanted to know if they had a lower euthanasia rate compared to the other shelters because of all their funding. I would have to pull up my excel sheet on this to remember if they did or not, though.
Whatever we're doing, it would be great to find out how that can be transferred to other areas. I know there are some areas where 7,000 dogs euthanized in a month.
That's my point. If 3 pigs = $10/pound, 1000s of pigs should be less than $4 a pound according to my imaginary math. I'd like to see bacon down to $2/pound by 2017. Vote for pp9.
Because a small scale operation doesn't have a massive corporate machine to supported from the sales of their product. They don't have the CEO, CFO, security, technology, R&D, assistants, marketing, real estate operations, etc and so on. All those people's gotta get paid!
I totally agree. I double checked the whole transfer between shelters in state thing because that can influence numbers pretty drastically, depending on how you skew them. I was actually looking up these numbers last fall because I was interested to see the euthanasia rates among one of our big name shelters out here that gets a lot of funding compared to other shelters in the area that are of similar size. Their marketing is superb, I have to give them that. I wanted to know if they had a lower euthanasia rate compared to the other shelters because of all their funding. I would have to pull up my excel sheet on this to remember if they did or not, though.
Whatever we're doing, it would be great to find out how that can be transferred to other areas. I know there are some areas where 7,000 dogs euthanized in a month.
You also have to remember that pet population varies by state. Also so do economical things. Also so does community perception on pets. All of which will play a part in what a shelter can raise, afford, and adopt out.
Do you think they get paid in bacon? If so, I'm in.Because a small scale operation doesn't have a massive corporate machine to supported from the sales of their product. They don't have the CEO, CFO, security, technology, R&D, assistants, marketing, real estate operations, etc and so on. All those people's gotta get paid!
i suspect the federal government is not going to accept bacon as an acceptable substitute for $$$$$$$ that you owe in student loans 😉Do you think they get paid in bacon? If so, I'm in.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Well that's just downright unreasonablei suspect the federal government is not going to accept bacon as an acceptable substitute for $$$$$$$ that you owe in student loans 😉
i suspect the federal government is not going to accept bacon as an acceptable substitute for $$$$$$$ that you owe in student loans 😉
Now who's ruining hopes and dreams????? 😉
ME. 😉Now who's ruining hopes and dreams????? 😉
ME. 😉
I approve!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 450
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 780
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 317