Veterinary Shadowing Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk98

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could read my cover letter for shadowing a veterinarian. I'm planning on handing this out at clinics around my area. Thanks ! :)

Dear Dr. XXXXXXXXX:

My name is XXXXXXXX and I recently completed my third-year at the XXXXXXX. I am very interested in pursuing a career in veterinary medicine and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to experience what a career in veterinary medicine entails. I am writing to you in the hope that you are willing to allow me to quietly observe you during your daily schedule.

My recent coursework in college has confirmed my intent to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. The knowledge I have acquired from my comparative anatomy and physiology class has made me appreciate the unique organ systems and behavior of various species. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXX

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could read my cover letter for shadowing a veterinarian. I'm planning on handing this out at clinics around my area. Thanks ! :)

Dear Dr. XXXXXXXXX:

My name is XXXXXXXX and I recently completed my third-year at the XXXXXXX. I am very interested in pursuing a career in veterinary medicine and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to experience what a career in veterinary medicine entails. I am writing to you in the hope that you are willing to allow me to quietly observe you during your daily schedule.

My recent coursework in college has confirmed my intent to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. The knowledge I have acquired from my comparative anatomy and physiology class has made me appreciate the unique organ systems and behavior of various species. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXX
It looks really good!

I might recommend being more specific with this line: "I am very interested in pursuing a career in veterinary medicine and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to experience what a career in veterinary medicine entails." Maybe revise to say "experience what a career in small animal medicine/large animal/exotics medicine entails" to make you letter more applicable to the specific clinics you are contacting.

Also, I'm not sure if you mention your college major (it might be in your XXXXXX sections), but you might want to include that, as well. You're a "third year at XXXX working towards a degree in XXXX," for example.

Are you visiting clinics in person or e-mailing this around? If you are visiting in person, make sure that you dress professionally and behave courteously to every person you meet. It might seem obvious, but I collected resumes from some pretty sloppily dressed and rude/entitled people while I worked in a clinic, and you can bet that we passed those observations on to our boss. You can take your resume or CV along with your cover letter, and maybe include references that the clinic can contact if they choose.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users