Veterinary Specialties and Salaries

Started by Beckett
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Beckett

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any place where I can go to find out about the various specialities in veterinary and their salaries that is up-to-date? Thanks everyone! 😀
 
Is there any place where I can go to find out about the various specialities in veterinary and their salaries that is up-to-date? Thanks everyone! 😀

Specialty salaries vary a lot as to whether you are working in private practice or at a teaching hospital. Which were you more interested in?

Search function also helps 😉

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=526047

However, I feel that a LOT of these are overblown, even though the info was from 2007. Most of the (DVM, board certified plus PhD) pathologists at my insitution make more like 80-110k, not 150k. But then again, that's academia.
 
I'm interested in finding out more about pathology, microbiology, and ophto and what the job availability is like. Ideally, I would like to find a specialty that I very much enjoy. I know I have 4+ years to get through but a little research never hurt anyone.

Yeah, I kind of figured about the salaries bit. From what I've heard veterinary salaries vary quiet a lot. It's somewhat confusing to me because some sources quote the average vet salary as being around $100,000 a year (not counting internships), but I'm going to guess there are jobs which skew the average?

EDIT: Thanks! I found the topic listing specialties, but not this one.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I'm a path resident 🙂 If you're interested in more details about path (clin path or anatomic, although I know more about the latter), feel free to PM me. I can tell you that generally, anatomic pathology and micro prefer or outright require a PhD for many of the jobs - most pathology or micro residencies are "combined programs" now because of that (residency + PhD). I love love LOVE my field, but it is a long trek - 7+ years of work after your DVM while earning low resident and postdoc salaries is rough. All I know about optho is that it's quite competitive because there are few slots.

Job market kind of sucks for everyone right now, so I can't really speak to that.
 
Last edited:
Well, I'm a path resident 🙂 If you're interested in more details about path (clin path or anatomic, although I know more about the latter), feel free to PM me. I can tell you that generally, anatomic pathology and micro prefer or outright require a PhD for many of the jobs - most pathology or micro residencies are "combined programs" now because of that (residency + PhD). I love love LOVE my field, but it is a long trek - 7+ years of work after your DVM while earning low resident and postdoc salaries is rough. All I know about optho is that it's quite competitive because there are few slots.

Job market kind of sucks for everyone right now, so I can't really speak to that.

Maybe I should have continued down the starving artist route. 😉 I'll definitely take you up on your offer after I do some reading. Thanks taking the time to reply to this little peon.