Veterinary, Toxicology Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GraceEarth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With a DVM and a PhD in Toxicology, what kind of jobs can one pursue? I am not aware of the career options with a DVM-PhD (in toxicology).

Also, is it possible to get in to a pathology residency with a DVM-PhD (in Pharmacology and Toxicology)? If not, what field would you do your PhD in for becoming a Veterinarian Tox Pathologist.

Please help! I'm lost.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What I plan on doing is working at a contract research organization in preclinical drug trials as a toxicologic pathologist, so yes there are jobs available with those degrees. However, you can be somewhat limited in what path residencies you can apply to already having the PhD. I'm in the same situation (have a PhD in Pharmacology), started vet school this year, and have already talked to the head of our residency program about my options. Basically, combined programs aren't an option because the work for a PhD is intertwined in the residency and difficult to separate. So I'm looking more at residencies that allow for more specialization in the third year, specifically looking at lab animal pathology.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With a DVM and a PhD in Toxicology, what kind of jobs can one pursue? I am not aware of the career options with a DVM-PhD (in toxicology).

Also, is it possible to get in to a pathology residency with a DVM-PhD (in Pharmacology and Toxicology)? If not, what field would you do your PhD in for becoming a Veterinarian Tox Pathologist.

Please help! I'm lost.

Thank you.

First questions first - do you want to be DVM who does research in toxicology, or do you want to be a veterinary toxicologic pathologist? Or a veterinary pharmacologist with a focus in toxicology? Do you want to be "boots on the ground" doing actual experiments or do you want to be the person behind the microscope looking at tissues and writing reports? Where are you currently in your training? Do you already have a PhD?

The DVM/PhD is the combination if you want to be primarily driving toxicology research. This type of job would most likely be being a primary investigator in a lab - research, writing grants, etc.

If you want to be a DACVP (board-certified pathologist) or DACVCP (board-certified veterinary pharmacologist) doing tox path you much better off doing the DVM + residency +/- PhD (the latter being debatable based on whether you want to be more on the service/consultant side versus the research side, as long as you stay in industry).

Take a look at the job postings on each specialties national website to get an idea of what types of positions are offered, and what tox path jobs are available specifically. Here is an example of a tox path focused job and what it would entail:

http://www.acvp.org/index.php/en/co...veterinary-toxicologic-pathologist&Itemid=101

Like lily said, having a PhD already can definitely make it more difficult to get a pathology residency as so many of them (mostly anatomic) are combined programs now. Although there are exceptions - a few programs are not combined, and a few are flexible - one of my resident-mates already had a PhD and our was a combined program although he was an exception.

If you are committed to post-DVM specialization, I would personally recommend pursuing the PhD after vet school or in combination with a residency - my personal opinion of DVM/PhD programs is not very positive (although I encourage you to get more opinions than just mine).

Last edited:

Please help! I'm lost.

Thank you.
I don't know really anything about this program, but Michigan State has a path residency geared toward toxicology https://cvm.msu.edu/pdi/residency-programs

First questions first - do you want to be DVM who does research in toxicology, or do you want to be a veterinary toxicologic pathologist? Or a veterinary pharmacologist with a focus in toxicology? Do you want to be "boots on the ground" doing actual experiments or do you want to be the person behind the microscope looking at tissues and writing reports? Where are you currently in your training? Do you already have a PhD?

The DVM/PhD is the combination if you want to be primarily driving toxicology research. This type of job would most likely be being a primary investigator in a lab - research, writing grants, etc.

If you want to be a DACVP (board-certified pathologist) or DACVCP (board-certified veterinary pharmacologist) doing tox path you much better off doing the DVM + residency +/- PhD (the latter being debatable based on whether you want to be more on the service/consultant side versus the research side, as long as you stay in industry).

Take a look at the job postings on each specialties national website to get an idea of what types of positions are offered, and what tox path jobs are available specifically. Here is an example of a tox path focused job and what it would entail:

http://www.acvp.org/index.php/en/co...veterinary-toxicologic-pathologist&Itemid=101

Like lily said, having a PhD already can definitely make it more difficult to get a pathology residency as so many of them (mostly anatomic) are combined programs now. Although there are exceptions - a few programs are not combined, and a few are flexible - one of my resident-mates already had a PhD and our was a combined program although he was an exception.

If you are committed to post-DVM specialization, I would personally recommend pursuing the PhD after vet school or in combination with a residency - my personal opinion of DVM/PhD programs is not very positive (although I encourage you to get more opinions than just mine).

I am a DVM PhD student (first year) and trying to figure out the Graduate group I should join. I am more interested in the "boots in the ground" work as a veterinary toxicologic pathologist. Therefore, my main question at this point is that does it even matter what I do my PhD in? For example, if I get a PhD in Chemistry, do you know if I can still get a residency in Toxicology?

By the way, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it !! :bow:

I am a DVM PhD student (first year) and trying to figure out the Graduate group I should join. I am more interested in the "boots in the ground" work as a veterinary toxicologic pathologist. Therefore, my main question at this point is that does it even matter what I do my PhD in? For example, if I get a PhD in Chemistry, do you know if I can still get a residency in Toxicology?

By the way, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it !! :bow:

There aren't really residencies in toxicology. There are pathology residencies (anatomic and clinical) and a very small few have a can have a focus in a toxicology (usually anatomic path ones). Although as was mentioned, many AP residencies are combined programs nowadays so already having a PhD can exclude you from consideration.

If you are more interested in the actual physical bench research rather than the reading slides/consultation/interpretation (the latter of which is generally more in the pathologist's arena rather than the research scientist's), I would think a residency somewhat superfluous if you already have a PhD. A solid research postdoc with a tox group might suit you better if you want to spend more time in the lab and less time behind a scope.

The exact name/subject of your PhD program doesn't really matter. What matters is your productivity (papers, conference presentations, etc), your mentor, etc. E.g. my PhD will be in Biomedical Sciences, but that certainly doesn't exclude me from working in tox if I wanted to.

That being said - you're a first year in a combined program, so you have tons of time to figure it out and you will be exposed to a lot in the next 7 or so years. You might discover that you like the pathology part of tox path much more than the research side. You might become interested in another specialty entirely. You might decide that you want to stay primarily in research and not specialize in a clinical discipline at all. Do keep your mind open and don't try to plan *too* far in advance ;)

Last edited: