Viability of Resident Pay Raise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dyeguy21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So first, in before lol residents getting a raise?!. I realize it may not happen this year or the next, but our program is in a unique position.

We are at a satellite campus that is funded by a university in another city. The two programs are trying to be "fully integrated" i.e. the same vacation policies, the same benefits, the same pay. My issue with this is the main campus is in a poorer part of the state where the cost of living is lower. In this case, using approved US department of state COLA comparisons, it is anywhere from 10-15% cheaper...mostly due to the cost of rental housing, which is what pretty much every resident uses.

Am I insane for at least approaching and bringing this issue up? I realize they may blow it off or just say no, but I feel its somewhat unfair that the program has overlooked this especially when its not related to extravagance or luxury items, it's instead directly related to basic living expenses.

(What brought this up btw is the recent change in residency level which brought a pay increase....which was immediately matched dollar for dollar by an increase in rent)

So thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You can try to bring it up. I know of at least one system that pays all of it's residents the same salary, but gives residents at the (significantly more expensive) main hospital a $X,000 housing stipend that the residents at the satellite campus don't get. I'd try to do it in a venue where it's not just you asking for more money though.

Does your campus have a resident council or some kind of resident-run GME committee? Do you have representatives from your program on it? I'd talk to them about bringing up this concern and ask for the committee to potentially bring up the possibility of a housing stipend.

Don't be surprised if it goes nowhere though.

Reactions: 1 users