PhD/PsyD victim mentality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harmos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm considering doing a small research project on the side, on victim mentality/victim identity, and I don't know how to get started. Most research I've come across are either regarding the politics of collective victimhood, legal aspects of of victimhood, and psychology of victim blaming. Right now I'm just going through some PTSD literature and see where it takes me. I'm also looking at social psychology because that's where I can learn more about the identity aspect of victimhood.

My research project is fairly vague at this point but my interest is in the therapeutic aspects of dealing with trauma (especially repeated trauma, such as in abuse), how trauma affects a person's life narrative and identity and their meaning-making, and whether and to what extent it is possible to change that and in what way. By "what way" I don't mean exposure therapy, but something along the lines of change of identity or developing another identity, the change in the meaning systems, schemas, narratives, etc. Sorry for being vague.

Oh, I suppose I can look into victimology literature too. Anybody can provide me some guidance, maybe a book or article or two or some names in the field, just to get me started on some solid ground? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
By "what way" I don't mean "exposure therapy", but something along the lines of change of identity or developing another identity, the change in the meaning systems, schemas, narratives, etc.

What you are calling victimhood may be what another researcher calls "trauma-related beliefs," etc. You probably need to broaden your search terms. You should definitely look up Patricia Resick's research on cognitive processing therapy for PTSD and the "cognitive-only" iterations that she has been studying in recent years.

I don't know how much of a departure this is from your usual area, but it's important to have a consultant or mentor who is more familiar with this literature.

Reactions: 1 user
What you are calling victimhood may be what another researcher calls "trauma-related beliefs," etc. You probably need to broaden your search terms. You should definitely look up Patricia Resick's research on cognitive processing therapy for PTSD and the "cognitive-only" iterations that she has been studying in recent years.

I don't know how much of a departure this is from your usual area, but it's important to have a consultant or mentor who is more familiar with this literature.
Thank you very much, that's helpful; yeah I'm in the clinical area but this line of research is new, just wanted to help with lit search a bit; but given my status in my college as an independent researcher (long story), I have limited access to mentors so I've been emailing a few people in the meantime and decided to post here too.

Why is exposure therapy in quotes?
Error on my part, very short on time this week, edited.