MD & DO VIDEO: 3 Ways the WAMC Forums Can Help Your Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
About the WAMC Subforum

The WAMC subforum is a place for members to bounce their applications off other members and get feedback. It's a way to help strengthen an application, but by no means should the WAMC subforum be considered or used as a definitive source for applications.

Take all application advice with a grain of salt (whether it comes from this subforum or a dean of admissions). If you want to go to medical school, here's what you need: decent grades and MCAT scores, interesting experiences, a good personal statement, and strong letters of recommendation. Any advice beyond that is fine-tuning.

It's about options

While I personally would not feel comfortable asking "WAMC" on an open forum, a lot of members like this resource. And that's a good thing; it's great to have this option available for those who want it. As a premed, I never had this option.

During my application cycle, I received terrible advice from 'subject matter experts.' It negatively impacted my applications. That's what drove creation of SDN - to serve as a place where students could freely share information and a broad range of experiences and ideas. Our members are not limited to an echo chamber of ideas from a single school, organization, or individual.

How should you use this information?

Don't use the WAMC subforum as your only source of application feedback - it should just be one of many resources that you use. During the admissions process, talk with as many people as you can: doctors, admissions officers, pre-med advisors, friends and colleagues. Many of these folks you'll find across the SDN Forums and in the SDN Experts section.

Remember, each year the application cycle is different. What was true last year is not necessarily true this year. More importantly, each applicant has a different story. What is true for one applicant is not true for another. Use advice from the WAMC subforum to strengthen your application and improve your school list, but also do your own research and make your own decisions about where to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Status
Not open for further replies.