Video: Wealth Inequality in America

Started by BMBiology
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

With the top 20% of Americans owning 85% of the country's wealth and the unlimited political contributions allowed by our Supreme Court, can we still think that we have a democratic government that is for its people and by its people?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This chart makes me want to waste my money on drugs, get fat, have children I can't afford, buy a nice car and marry a scumbag just so I can join everyone else and have something to complain about.
 
It's certainly interesting, like all of these things are, but there isn't a solution presented. You can't simply hand a pile of cash from one person to another and solve the inequality.

I would be more interested in hearing possible solutions other than "hand this pile of cash to everyone making less than X dollars"
 
It's certainly interesting, like all of these things are, but there isn't a solution presented. You can't simply hand a pile of cash from one person to another and solve the inequality.

I would be more interested in hearing possible solutions other than "hand this pile of cash to everyone making less than X dollars"

I would encourage more profit sharing. Let employees have some kind of stock in the company were profits are dispersed among workers. Pay them a set wage and on top of that give them a cut of the profits. It may help lower the income disparity and provide an incentive for employees to provide more quality work.
 
Most people give a rat ass about stocks in general. Every time I ask someone if they put money aside to their 401k, they give you uneducated answers. For example:

  1. I am too afraid
  2. Yea, all in stable value fund
  3. I don't know what that is
  4. I don't like losing money
  5. The company plays with your money, why do you want to give them your money
  6. I lost too much, so I stop
  7. It's a gamble, I don't like gambling
  8. I like to keep all my money, I don't like smaller pay check
  9. I can't afford it
  10. For what?
  11. Hell ya, I bought everything on the list
  12. Everything in bonds dude!!!
  13. Insert whatever ******ed answer you want to hear
 
Most people give a rat ass about stocks in general. Every time I ask someone if they put money aside to their 401k, they give you uneducated answers. For example:

  1. I am too afraid
  2. Yea, all in stable value fund
  3. I don't know what that is
  4. I don't like losing money
  5. The company plays with your money, why do you want to give them your money
  6. I lost too much, so I stop
  7. It's a gamble, I don't like gambling
  8. I like to keep all my money, I don't like smaller pay check
  9. I can't afford it
  10. For what?
  11. Hell ya, I bought everything on the list
  12. Everything in bonds dude!!!
  13. Insert whatever ******ed answer you want to hear

If you are talking about another pharmacist...I could see calling them stupid. If you are talking about a technician or a dude working cashier at CVS, they got to pay for survival before they can save. It's pretty easy to talk about your 401k elections when you take home 6 times your mortgage every month.