Virginia and Controlled Substances Limits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This should be an easy enough question to figure out but I'm having trouble finding a straight answer... What are the limits in Virginia for how much a prescription can be written for involving a controlled substance? One month? Three months?

Members don't see this ad.

This should be an easy enough question to figure out but I'm having trouble finding a straight answer... What are the limits in Virginia for how much a prescription can be written for involving a controlled substance? One month? Three months?
My 5 minutes of googling indicate that there are no limits.

If you haven't found it specifically for Virginia then I would guess something to the effect of whatever is safe and appropriate and within the scope of normal practice for the prescriber. Check federal law for the exact wording (DEA Pharmacists Manual), many states just defer to federal law. Insurance companies are usually who limits day supplies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to agree with the above posters. Virginia doesn't specify quantities but does specify time. Most states have the 6 month law for C3-C5 but Virginia does differ a little bit that C2 can also be filled within a 6 month period but does require a new Rx if their are additional refills. Most prescribe with a "Do not fill till XXX" if they have a good relationship with the patient and want to do more than a 1 month supply. Virginia is also very generous to PAs and NPs to allow them the same privileges enjoyed by MDs for narcotics and benzos.

Going to agree with the above posters. Virginia doesn't specify quantities but does specify time. Most states have the 6 month law for C3-C5 but Virginia does differ a little bit that C2 can also be filled within a 6 month period but does require a new Rx if their are additional refills. Most prescribe with a "Do not fill till XXX" if they have a good relationship with the patient and want to do more than a 1 month supply. Virginia is also very generous to PAs and NPs to allow them the same privileges enjoyed by MDs for narcotics and benzos.
That's 6 months to present the rx to the pharmacy. The amount dispensed could legally be a 3 year supply.