Virginia Commonwealth VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had anyone heard anything from them? There is virtually nothing about them on these forums, ever!

I heard they have a very strong bias towards in state applicants.

We are currently waiting for an interview, but they quickly being forgotten.

Members don't see this ad.

didn't hear anything from them yet either!!

I haven't heard anything either!

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed there last weekend .. very nice school

They recieved my pharmcas application last thursday and I actually got a call today to schedule my interview for March 3(so it took them one week).

Actually, that was the only school I applied to last year and I got waitlisted. I was pretty arrogant and didn't prepare much for the interview because I thought I'd definitely get in and I didn't even bother to apply anywhere else. Last year I applied in October and had my interview during the first week of November. I got my letter with the bad news way later around May.

It's a state-funded school, so they give preference to in-state students(I believe almost 80% are in-state).

Yea, I haven't heard anything from them either. They didn't even tell me if they got all my materials (I had to call them)... I pretty much gave up and concluded that they probably won't call me!

No speech, no word, no voice is heard from VCU, not even acknowledgement of my package.

^
When did you guys apply? What are your stats?

What is their min. PCAT requirement?

I have an interview scheduled at VCU in March. Just found out this week. Has anyone heard anything about their essay questions??

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview scheduled at VCU in March. Just found out this week. Has anyone heard anything about their essay questions??

I thought that essay quesiton part was the easiest part in the interview. They are pretty straight forward. U have an issue and u write about it. I think you get about 30 mins. VCU is very bad in replying. Last year I applied in Nov and got an interview in Feb. I got waitlisted and found that out in May. So this year I decided to do early decision and luckily I got in. As for pcat...I think VCU looks more at ur gpa and overall personality than just pcat. I have heard people with even lower pcat scores have been able to get in. It is an instate univ. so it does accept mostly instate student. I believe that only 13 out of state students are accepted every year...pretty tough!

yeah I applied on October 19 and they did not confirm that they had received my stuff. I live in Maryland. Is is really true that as little as 15 out of state students get in? Please let me know bc it is one of my top choices!

eleanor_rigby - I was at that March 3rd interview too... have you heard yet?

eleanor_rigby - I was at that March 3rd interview too... have you heard yet?

No. I ran straight to my mailbox today after a week off for spring break, but nothing from VCU. :(

I was surprised at the number of out-of-state students and the number of guys at the interview, considering the stats of those accepted in prior years. Dr. Reinders did have 2-4 weeks up on the powerpoint, but they seem to send out most of the letters in May for the late interviewers. Just a little heads up. ;)

MAY?!?!? OMG, thats so long :(

No. I ran straight to my mailbox today after a week off for spring break, but nothing from VCU. :(

I was surprised at the number of out-of-state students and the number of guys at the interview, considering the stats of those accepted in prior years. Dr. Reinders did have 2-4 weeks up on the powerpoint, but they seem to send out most of the letters in May for the late interviewers. Just a little heads up. ;)

AHHHH that's way too long.... THe wait is killer. Yeah, I was surprised by the number of out of states - but I heard that the majority will probably not get in since they prefer in state. Keep in touch and let me know what happens to you. I"m just scaring myself by talking myself into believing that if they haven't sent it by now, I'm SOL...

AHHHH that's way too long.... THe wait is killer. Yeah, I was surprised by the number of out of states - but I heard that the majority will probably not get in since they prefer in state. Keep in touch and let me know what happens to you. I"m just scaring myself by talking myself into believing that if they haven't sent it by now, I'm SOL...

Patience. It's only been two weeks. ;)

Yeah I have an interview this Saturday with them. Hopefully you guys hear back soon.

Yeah I have an interview this Saturday with them. Hopefully you guys hear back soon.

Good luck!!! Just be yourself and show them you are a real person, not just academics on paper :)

I hope everything is going well. Hey guys - I heard a few things through the grapevine ... VCU has cancelled their interviews for March 31st because they've given too many seats away (I believe) or they didn't get enough scheduled it, either or, it doesn't matter. So March 24th is the last day VCU is doing interviews. The committee is suppose to meet sometime next week to discuss applicants from the last four/five weeks of interviews, so we should hear by mid-April. If not, then most likely they're waiting for the rest of your application (like spring term grades or such). So good luck everyone, and I apologize for the out of state % comment, I'm sure it's higher than 5%. But yes, good luck, and I hope to hear some good news from you all.

Wahhhh hahah that's good to know but at the same time really scary to know that I'm interviewing on the last day. Crazy! Good luck everybody!

Just seeing if anyone has heard from VCU - the earlier march interviewers???

I hope we'll hear from them early April. I'm starting to feel a bit on edge.

A few friends of mine who got pooled from early decision to the regular applicant group still haven't recieved a reply.

Where do you guys plan on living if you get accepted?

No idea - i'll think about housing when I get in. Maybe on campus? A little expensive but the area seems a little sketchy?

Hey guys! I e-mailed VCU and received a reply that their final decisions will be made by May. I guess it's a longer wait than expected.

are you serious?!??!?! By may so latest may??? I hope. Why does it take so long ughh...

Hey there,

I just wanted to share my MCV application story. When I applied for the Fall 2006 semester I submitted my application in the middle of February and interviewed the first weekend in March. At the interview it was announced that they would make a decision within 2-3 weeks. I thought "sweet, thats pretty fast." So after 2-3 weeks I starting checking the mailbox as soon as the mailman came (yes I am that lame). :)

I didn't receive anything from MCV until the first week of May (May 4th ish I think). At that point I found out I was waitlisted (Boo). I think they finish up interview at the end of March/beginning of April and then start to review all profiles of those students that were intereviewed. Two to three weeks after that they announce their decisions.

So for everyone that is waiting to hear back, you'll probably find out the first week of May. That is when most of us found out last year as well.

I didn't get pulled off the waitlist, but I met with Dean Reinders and I applied ED this year and found out on 10/22/06 I was accepted.

Good luck to everyone that is waiting to hear! I definitely know how agonizing it is to wait!

Thanks for the info - I guess I should just stop being anxious - and just wait until May :(

Hey guys - I just got my acceptance letter today :) Good luck everyone... it was dated March 26, so I'm assuming they met this past weekend or Monday... so if you live farther away from the school, you might get your letter a little later...

Hey guys - I just got my acceptance letter today :) Good luck everyone... it was dated March 26, so I'm assuming they met this past weekend or Monday... so if you live farther away from the school, you might get your letter a little later...

How far away from the school do you live?

How far away from the school do you live?
about two hours,... I don't know if the delivering mail makes any difference, but it's some hope, huh? hey - and no news is good news - in a sense.... they could be waiting on your spring semester grades.

about two hours,... I don't know if the delivering mail makes any difference, but it's some hope, huh? hey - and no news is good news - in a sense.... they could be waiting on your spring semester grades.

Congrats!

I live in Richmond and interviewed on the same day as you. :( I'm definitely worried now. I feel like my stomach is all in knots.

Wouldn't they give us a call or send a letter requesting our spring grades if they will be needing it?

Can you please post your stats GPA & PCAT scores?

Dont' worry - I'm sure it's just taking them some time. I have a 3.5 overall and a 3.8 science GPA. I did not do too hot on the PCAT's ... I got a 68, but I had awesome recommendations and worked at a hospital and lab for two years.

Congrats!

I live in Richmond and interviewed on the same day as you. :( I'm definitely worried now. I feel like my stomach is all in knots.

Wouldn't they give us a call or send a letter requesting our spring grades if they will be needing it?

Can you please post your stats GPA & PCAT scores?

I was at the March 3rd interview. Got my acceptance letter yesterday. I may not go...

I was at the March 3rd interview. Got my acceptance letter yesterday. I may not go...

sigh......the anxiety is just mounting up. That means the acceptances must have been sent out this week, at least for the march 3 interviewees. The rest must be waitlisted or rejected.

are you an out-of-state student?

sigh......the anxiety is just mounting up. That means the acceptances must have been sent out this week, at least for the march 3 interviewees. The rest must be waitlisted or rejected.

Seriously, I interviewed Feb. 3 and I haven't heard anything. I live in Alexandria, so if they were all sent out, I should have received the letter by now. I was told that the committee wouldn't meet after this last interview on the 24th, but that we should know by the middle of April. Maybe they just decided on a few people right away and sent those letters out, and are still deciding on the majority of interviewees. Did they tell you at the interview that you would hear within 2-4 weeks? That's what they told us, but for us Feb. interviewees it obviously isn't the case. I guess I'll just have to wait. At least I haven't received a rejection letter.

Did they tell you at the interview that you would hear within 2-4 weeks? That's what they told us, but for us Feb. interviewees it obviously isn't the case. At least I haven't received a rejection letter.

the 2-4 weeks only applies for those who are in the definite "yes" group. it sort of implies that we're not in that category and that uncertainty bothers me.

Seriously, I interviewed Feb. 3 and I haven't heard anything. I live in Alexandria, so if they were all sent out, I should have received the letter by now. I was told that the committee wouldn't meet after this last interview on the 24th, but that we should know by the middle of April. Maybe they just decided on a few people right away and sent those letters out, and are still deciding on the majority of interviewees. Did they tell you at the interview that you would hear within 2-4 weeks? That's what they told us, but for us Feb. interviewees it obviously isn't the case. I guess I'll just have to wait. At least I haven't received a rejection letter.

i'm in the same situation. interviewed on 02/03 and nothing yet...

In state here.

In state here.

If you turn down VCU can you please make a post? How much time are they giving you to make a deposit? Do you plan on going to UACP? Did you get a thin letter in the mail?

If you turn down VCU can you please make a post? How much time are they giving you to make a deposit? Do you plan on going to UACP? Did you get a thin letter in the mail?

My letter allows me until April 9th to decide. The way I read the letter, my 500 deposit needs to be post marked by the 9th. I am not sure what I plan to do at this point.

My letter allows me until April 9th to decide. The way I read the letter, my 500 deposit needs to be post marked by the 9th. I am not sure what I plan to do at this point.

You only had a $500 deposit ?? ... mine was $1000 (which I am now going to lose, since I was accepted to my 1st choice school) -- and I have not notified VCU of this yet; but it will happen within the next week ... so one more seat will be opening up for you guys ...

You only had a $500 deposit ?? ... mine was $1000 (which I am now going to lose, since I was accepted to my 1st choice school) -- and I have not notified VCU of this yet; but it will happen within the next week ... so one more seat will be opening up for you guys ...

?? Why would the deposits differ?

I guess they wait until accepted applicants decline their offer and then give the seats to those who they've deemed as being on the fence and send the final decisions out in May. Will you be attending UMD?

$1000 deposit?!? Mine was only $500 too.

Thats odd, my letter reads "...in order to reserve your place in the Class of 2011, it will be necessary for you to return a photo of yourself and a matriculation deposit of $500.00..."