Virginia Consortium application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kestrelcry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to a bunch of clinical Ph.D. programs and the Virginia Consortium Psy.D. The problem I'm running into is a lack of 'culture' knowledge. I know what Ph.D. programs are looking for and what to put in my essay: that I'm really interested in research, talk about my interests, say what I've done, mention my clinical experience, but not too much. I don't really know what to put for a Psy.D. program though. Any thoughts? I can post the Consortium's essay directions if anyone thinks it's useful info.

Members don't see this ad.

For most PsyD programs you'd want to switch the emphasis/balance of research vs. clinical. Thus, you'd want to talk about your research, but put at least equal if not greater weight on your clinical interests and experience. Best of all would be if you can show how your research and clinical interests fit together or complement each other. A PsyD program will probably look favorably on applicants with strong research backgrounds, but if they sense that this is your primary focus, they will correctly assume that you are not really a good fit for the practitioner-scholar orientation of their PsyD program.

The Virginia Consortium program is more research-oriented than many Psy.D. programs, and I believe they are considering converting it to a Ph.D. program. Therefore, you're probably safe putting about the same emphasis on research in their application that you would in an application for a Ph.D. program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just mailed in my application to VA Consortium last week. I basically used the same essay for them that I used for the PhD programs I applied to; I agree that the VA Consortium is more research-based than most other PsyD programs and would look favorably upon someone with a strong research background. I guess we'll see! Good luck!!!

Thanks all! I pretty much used the same essay as well, with just a few tweaks here and there to make it more balanced.