Virginia MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david05

PharmD/MBA
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Have anyone here taken the new Virginia law version which is MPJE (started in July 2016)? Did you pass? What book/material did you use?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi David,

I'm wondering the same thing. My exam is on September 8th, and I cannot find any information any where. I'm currently using the "Pass the Virginia Pharmacy Law Exam". It's a study guide for the FSDLE written by Alexis Long PharmD, and Douglas Lipton JD, BS Pharm.

Hi David,

I'm wondering the same thing. My exam is on September 8th, and I cannot find any information any where. I'm currently using the "Pass the Virginia Pharmacy Law Exam". It's a study guide for the FSDLE written by Alexis Long PharmD, and Douglas Lipton JD, BS Pharm.

I'm planning to use that book too. I think the law is still the same, but the exam is just in a different format. If we know the law, then it doesn't matter if it's in FSDLE or MPJE format. I plan to take it at the end of September.
Whether or not you pass this coming MPJE, please go back to this topic and let me know if the Alexis Long book is still sufficient to study for this exam. Thank

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning to use that book too. I think the law is still the same, but the exam is just in a different format. If we know the law, then it doesn't matter if it's in FSDLE or MPJE format. I plan to take it at the end of September.
Whether or not you pass this coming MPJE, please go back to this topic and let me know if the Alexis Long book is still sufficient to study for this exam. Thank

hey guys i'll be taking the va mpje as well...haven't met anyone else who's taken it yet. I'm using rx prep and the alexis long red book.

hey guys i'll be taking the va mpje as well...haven't met anyone else who's taken it yet. I'm using rx prep and the alexis long red book.
I'm also using quizlet and plan on taking the prempje (not sure how accurate that is though)

Do you mind linking me to the quizlet cards?

I am using the following:

https://quizlet.com/84924084/federal-pharmacy-law-mpje-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/84924084/federal-pharmacy-law-mpje-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/84924145/federal-mpje-study-flashcards-schedule-i-v-drugs-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/84924184/mpje-federal-law-rxprep-2015-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/103651194/virginia-pharmacy-law-exam-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/84924123/federal-mpje-study-flashcards-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/103651361/virginia-pharmacy-law-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/86329126/virginia-pharmacy-law-2015-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/84549921/virginia-pharmacy-law-exam-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/84549879/virginia-pharmacy-law-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/84549838/virginia-pharmacy-law-dates-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/90236063/virginia-pharmacy-law-test-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/48849136/virginia-law-part-1-and-part-2-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/143035062/virginia-pharmacy-law-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/87930502/mpje-federal-law-rxprep-2015-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/84277974/mpje-federal-law-rxprep-2015-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/86646581/va-drug-schedules-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/145855181/va-mpje-study-guide-flash-cards/

https://quizlet.com/112644343/va-bop-flash-cards/

Alot of it is repetition... but anywhoo, best of luck tomorrow! Please come back to this site to let us know how it went :)

Reactions: 1 users
I passed the VA MPJE. All I got to say is read the book by Alexis Long. I have read that 3 times. I also read the DEA Pharmacist Manual, but once you read that it will be a repetition in the Alexis Long's book.

Reactions: 1 user
I passed the VA MPJE. All I got to say is read the book by Alexis Long. I have read that 3 times. I also read the DEA Pharmacist Manual, but once you read that it will be a repetition in the Alexis Long's book.
Thank you very much, FMPharmD. I'm planning to take VA MPJE and have been wondering if Alexis Long's book is still good for the new VA MPJE version. Again, your feedback is a great help for me to trust and put time into studying this book. Otherwise, it's going to waste me a lot of time to find and study other sources.

I passed the MPJE as well. I used the Alexis Long book, the materials the board sent me to review, and used all the flashcards the previous person posted.

I passed! Took the exam on saturday and got my score on tuesday! I'd recommend the alexis long red book and sterile compounding from the NAPLEX rxprep book. The rxprep mpje was a waste of money to me.

Thank you very much, FMPharmD. I'm planning to take VA MPJE and have been wondering if Alexis Long's book is still good for the new VA MPJE version. Again, your feedback is a great help for me to trust and put time into studying this book. Otherwise, it's going to waste me a lot of time to find and study other sources.
I didn't have time and energy to study other materials, even the quizlets. So, read purchased a used book by Alexis Long from amazon the second edition, and read that book like a manual. I read it to a point that I will finish it once a day. It was hectic but it help me. I read the Pharmacy Manual once before the book but it was a repetition when i read the Va book. I took my exam with zero confidence but the exam felt easy. I got a 79.

Thanks to everyone who had contributed information here. I'm using the Long/Lipton book, the flashcards, and the sterile compounding chapter from my RxPrep book. I will be taking the VA MPJE in three weeks and will let everyone know how it works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my MPJE today. I want to confirm that the Alexis Long book is still "very" sufficient to pass the "new" VA MPJE. If you don't pass by using this book, it's because of you not mastering the material. 95% of questions from my MPJE can be answered from the book. If I got them wrong, then I didn't master the material.
There was one or two questions about compounding. The chapter of sterile compounding in the Rxprep is sufficient to prepare for these questions. Again, the Alexis Long book is all you need. However, in order to master the information in the Alexis Long book, you need to quiz yourself a lot to know if you really know the material. Those quizlets posted above (some of them are created from the Long book) are very helpful to help you study. Be careful when using these quizlets. You need to read the Alexis Book first because some information from the quizlets are old and not correct (3 to 4%).

Thank Sabre55, uchebu and FMPharmD very much.

Just an Update for VA MPJE: Passed!!!
Again: Alexis Long Book is "still" good for new VA MPJE ( 2nd edition) and the book is enough to pass. You don't need to study any other sources including stuffs sent by the board.

Just finished my application for licensure in Virginia so soon enough I'll be taking the VA MPJE (along with the MD one and later the DC one). I'm licensed in TN and studied with the blue Federal Pharmacy Law book and the TN pharmacy law book along with some school notes. Will similar materials for Virginia be sufficient to pass the MPJE?

Just finished my application for licensure in Virginia so soon enough I'll be taking the VA MPJE (along with the MD one and later the DC one). I'm licensed in TN and studied with the blue Federal Pharmacy Law book and the TN pharmacy law book along with some school notes. Will similar materials for Virginia be sufficient to pass the MPJE?
I took and passed NC and VA MPJE. The NC state law is different from VA state law. I don't know about TN law, but my advice is to get the the Alexis Long book (2nd edition). Its thin, and you can finish it in one day (it combines state and federal law). The new or used book is ~ $17 on amazon. It's worth to buy. Pass or fail is just over a question. Also, the fee for the exam is $250. So, $17 for the book is a good investment.

I took and passed NC and VA MPJE. The NC state law is different from VA state law. I don't know about TN law, but my advice is to get the the Alexis Long book (2nd edition). Its thin, and you can finish it in one day (it combines state and federal law). The new or used book is ~ $17 on amazon. It's worth to buy. Pass or fail is just over a question. Also, the fee for the exam is $250. So, $17 for the book is a good investment.

I did take your advice and buy the book. Thanks! Would you rate the VA exam as harder than NC? Only MPJE I've taken is TN, planning on doing VA and MD. In my opinion, the TN exam was very difficult.

I did take your advice and buy the book. Thanks! Would you rate the VA exam as harder than NC? Only MPJE I've taken is TN, planning on doing VA and MD. In my opinion, the TN exam was very difficult.
VA questions seem easier, but trickier. You must read the questions and answer choices carefully. NC questions are lengthy and NC has more situational questions than VA. My VA score was lower than NC, but I passed both of them.

Hello I just moved to Virginia and will be taking the MPJE at the end of the month. Thanks for the input.
So get the Long red book, study the packet the board sends, quilt, and compounding from NAPLEX book

Hello I just moved to Virginia and will be taking the MPJE at the end of the month. Thanks for the input.
So get the Long red book, study the packet the board sends, quilt, and compounding from NAPLEX book
It's enough to just study the Alexis Long book and the compounding chapter of the Rxprep for the VA MPJE. Study the packet would be too much. I did not study the packet at all.

Found out today that I passed. What everyone has said about the Lipton book is largely true... I did have a considerable number of questions on subject matter which was NOT covered in the book (HIPPA and the like), though many of these could be reasoned out easily enough. A few pointers... Make sure to re-read every question as they are loaded with cases which seem to have a simple enough answer save for a single word or fact that changes them completely. Be sure how to handle prescriptions for controls. Except for the lists of what drugs are in what control classes, the Board packet has the same information as in the Lipton book only in a much harder to read format.

Can someone post a copy of the book. I see 4 of the same books
Found out today that I passed. What everyone has said about the Lipton book is largely true... I did have a considerable number of questions on subject matter which was NOT covered in the book (HIPPA and the like), though many of these could be reasoned out easily enough. A few pointers... Make sure to re-read every question as they are loaded with cases which seem to have a simple enough answer save for a single word or fact that changes them completely. Be sure how to handle prescriptions for controls. Except for the lists of what drugs are in what control classes, the Board packet has the same information as in the Lipton book only in a much harder to read format.
Thanks A lot, this info is much needed.

Can someone post a copy of the book. I see 4 of the same books

Thanks A lot, this info is much needed.
As you read previous comments, we all talked about "one book" which is "Pass the Virginia Pharmacy Law Exam" of "Alexis Long and Douglas Lipton". Search amazon, you will find the cover of the book. It's red. I think you may be confused b/c some mentioned about Alexis Long, and others mentioned Lipton. They are both authors of the same book.

Last edited:
Scheduled to take mine this Saturday. Read the Long book and Federal Pharmacy Review book, will read them through again and look at compounding prior to testing. Hopefully all goes well!

As you read previous comments, we all talked about "one book" which is "Pass the Virginia Pharmacy Law Exam" of "Alexis Long and Douglas Lipton". Search amazon, you will find the cover of the book. It's red. I think you may be confused b/c some mentioned about Alexis Long, and others mentioned Lipton. They are both authors of the same book.
thanks!

I read the MPJE instruction, seems there are different type of questions with multiple-response format (more than one correct answer) and ordered response question, in addition to regular multiple choice question. Are those multiple response questions in different section in test? how do I know if it is multiple answer or single answer question? Also, do we get partial points if not all correct answer are selected? Many thanks.

Hello everyone,

Have anyone here taken the new Virginia law version which is MPJE (started in July 2016)? Did you pass? What book/material did you use?

Thank you,

I'm a little late on a reply but maybe I can help someone else. First I want to start by saying I did NOT go to school in Virginia. I moved here for a job a week after graduating and passed the MPJE with about a week of moderate studying.

I used my notes from class for the Federal stuff and the packet that the Virginia BOP sent me for the State specifics because I figured the information would be the same no matter which of Virginia's law exams I took.

The real key to my success though was finding a site that offered a quiz bank. It wasnt that much money in comparison to something like RxPrep. I purchased one of pharmacyexam.com's online quiz banks to give myself some practice in actual test form. I feel it REALLY helped me.

In fact I found the MPJE to be waaaaaaay easier than the NAPLEX (but I've been informed that I'm crazy).

Good luck!

I read the MPJE instruction, seems there are different type of questions with multiple-response format (more than one correct answer) and ordered response question, in addition to regular multiple choice question. Are those multiple response questions in different section in test? how do I know if it is multiple answer or single answer question? Also, do we get partial points if not all correct answer are selected? Many thanks.

The MPJE question format is exactly the same as the NAPLEX. You will know it's a multiple answer question because it will say "choose all that apply" or something similar. Additionally, it they only want 1 answer the test will only let you pick 1. So the mark will move. Don't stress about how the questions are designed it's nothing different from what you've done before.

As for grading & partial credit, your guess is as good as mine. Grading for both the MPJE & NAPLEX is some kind of national secret, safe guarded by a nameless secret society that may or may not actually exist.

Has anyone taken the VA mpje this month? I took it yesterday and I do not feel confident. There were 120 questions and so many of them came down to two very similar answer choices. I felt confident about very few of the questions. For those who have taken it, how soon did you get your score and through what channel? Also, anyone know how it's scored? Do a certain amount of questions not count?

Has anyone taken the VA mpje this month? I took it yesterday and I do not feel confident. There were 120 questions and so many of them came down to two very similar answer choices. I felt confident about very few of the questions. For those who have taken it, how soon did you get your score and through what channel? Also, anyone know how it's scored? Do a certain amount of questions not count?
the score is released online about 2 or 3 business day after taking the exam.

The MPJE question format is exactly the same as the NAPLEX. You will know it's a multiple answer question because it will say "choose all that apply" or something similar. Additionally, it they only want 1 answer the test will only let you pick 1. So the mark will move. Don't stress about how the questions are designed it's nothing different from what you've done before.

As for grading & partial credit, your guess is as good as mine. Grading for both the MPJE & NAPLEX is some kind of national secret, safe guarded by a nameless secret society that may or may not actually exist.

Thanks for the info.

Is there any good online test question bank available in addition to the Quizlet links above and the Long book? Taking exam questions can help me to memorize and understand better than just reading books. Thanks.

Please avice! I am planning to take my NAPLEX next April and trying to prepare for it since a while now.
I am studying from Rx prep book, and now I am considering the 6 months course from Rxprep now. would recommend that?
One more thing, I have no idea about MPJE, do you take it on the same day of the NAPLEX? I will be doing VA MPJE, i and is there a book for it? Do I need to get a book for Federal Law and another one for VA State Law any recommednation?

Please avice! I am planning to take my NAPLEX next April and trying to prepare for it since a while now.
I am studying from Rx prep book, and now I am considering the 6 months course from Rxprep now. would recommend that?
One more thing, I have no idea about MPJE, do you take it on the same day of the NAPLEX? I will be doing VA MPJE, i and is there a book for it? Do I need to get a book for Federal Law and another one for VA State Law any recommednation?
Check my previous thread about how to prepare for the new naplex (passed new naplex with 3 digits score). I would Not recommend the rxprep "online video course". Rxprep book and quiz bank are good enough. Also, there are other useful material that you must have. Check my thread.

For MPJE, read previous comments in this post. I explained details about book and additional stuffs that you must have and practice.

Where did you find Alexis long book for $17 on Amazon? Only ones I see available are +$30-40. Would you be willing to sell your old book?

Did you end up taking the MD and DC boards? If so, do you have any tips or additional materials I might need. I contacted the MD BOP and I am waiting on my ebook.

Thanks,

Where did you find Alexis long book for $17 on Amazon? Only ones I see available are +$30-40. Would you be willing to sell your old book?

Did you end up taking the MD and DC boards? If so, do you have any tips or additional materials I might need. I contacted the MD BOP and I am waiting on my ebook.

Thanks,

I took the MD boards, but not DC. I use the MD law book that MPhA sells and thought it helped. For the Long book I bought last years edition to save money.