Virginia MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david05

PharmD/MBA
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Have anyone here taken the new Virginia law version which is MPJE (started in July 2016)? Did you pass? What book/material did you use?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

I just took my law exam... That was hard! I don't think Lipton's was 100% enough. I recommend reading the Federal law book along with Lipton's. They also asked about different acts and specific USP questions (even the RXPREP didn't cover in depth).

I just took my law exam... That was hard! I don't think Lipton's was 100% enough. I recommend reading the Federal law book along with Lipton's. They also asked about different acts and specific USP questions (even the RXPREP didn't cover in depth).
Congrats on passing the MPJE. So the Long was was sufficient? I am transferring my license from FL to VA...and it's been a good minute since I've taken any pharmacy law exams ha!
So from what I read from previous posts...1. Long book 2. Brush up on control classes and drug names 3. Review USP 4. Compounding

Am I missing anything else? Is it all multiple choice or do they have fill-in the blanks now too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on passing the MPJE. So the Long was was sufficient? I am transferring my license from FL to VA...and it's been a good minute since I've taken any pharmacy law exams ha!
So from what I read from previous posts...1. Long book 2. Brush up on control classes and drug names 3. Review USP 4. Compounding

Am I missing anything else? Is it all multiple choice or do they have fill-in the blanks now too?
Long/Lipton is sort of sufficient. Pharmacy exam .com questions were pretty helpful in terms of format. They were so many k-types and select all that apply... Maybe 2/3 were formatted that way for me.

Hello. I am transferring my license to Va from another state and I took the Virginia MPJE last week (11/17). I used the following to study for the exam:

1. The Long/Lipton book
2. The Quizlets above (some are no longer available). Also, some of the information on those is dated and no longer correct (2-4% I suppose)
3. The RX Prep book (sterile and non sterile compounding chapters) to cover USP 797 and 800
4. The Va Pharmacy Act from The Commonwealth of Virginia dated 7/1/17
5. The Va BoP website FAQs for the latest

Much redundancy across the above. The Long/Lipton book was by far the primary source of study and I would not have passed without it. I read the Long/Lipton book every day for 1 month since it presents the content in a a form that is easier to consume than the BoP doc content which is rather dry and in a very legal statute format. The VA Pharmacy Act doc is up to date though.

My score was in the 80s. I took the test and got my score on the NABP website 3 days later. A score of 75 is passing - not a percentile, rather they use an unknown methodology to weight the questions and determine the final score. The NABP MPJE bulletin gives some detail on the process. Make sure to read the ID requirements in that bulletin....

If you have limited time then focus on the Long/Lipton Book and the two sections on compounding in the RX prep book. If you do not want to buy the RX Prep Book then I suppose you can just download the USP 797 and 800 docs from the web. The RX Prep book is easier to read though.

Commit the content to memory since for a "select all that apply" or "select all that apply EXCEPT" question, you will have to really know the content to correctly answer. I would have scored higher but some of the questions asked for detail that that my non photographic memory could not pull up...:)

Finally, thank you to all that contributed to this thread. The exam is quite passable as long as you prepare.

I hope that this is helpful.