Virginia Tech shootings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crying moo

pancakes!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who might be affected...my condolences... I don't know what to say

VT '03

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed. This is just awful. My heart goes out to those at VT.

I am with the victims, family members, friends, and all others touched by this tradgedy. This is shocking and awful, I am aware that Virginia has had over the past couple of years, the highest rate of murder in the US. I interviewed at a pharmacy school in Virginia, if accepted I am seriously going to consider whether I will be attending or not. On the other hand I know that there is crime and murder everywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in complete shock as well. My heart and prayers go out to all those who lost friends or family in this horrible tragedy.

My sincere condolences and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragedy!!

I am with the victims, family members, friends, and all others touched by this tradgedy. This is shocking and awful, I am aware that Virginia has had over the past couple of years, the highest rate of murder in the US. I interviewed at a pharmacy school in Virginia, if accepted I am seriously going to consider whether I will be attending or not. On the other hand I know that there is crime and murder everywhere.

Virginia has the highest murder rate in the US? Are you sure? Better yet, please give evidence for this claim. I think you're wrong.

If this shooting at a university in Blacksburg, VA makes you seriously consider not going to Pharm school in Grundy County (Appalachia), Winchester (Shenandoah), or VCU (Richmond), then I submit that you are drastically geographically challenged, or you don't read the news.

This is a tragic situation for all of us in Virginia, but it absolutely is NOT about you and your choice of pharmacy schools.

Agreed, a shocking tragedy. My condolences to all affected on this day.

To all those affected, my sincere condolences and you are in my prayers.

I am aware that Virginia has had over the past couple of years, the highest rate of murder in the US.

being from Virginia that statement somewhat suprised me so I looked it up...

and uh... What are you talking about?

VA isn't even in the top ten? Slightly above average.. but FAR from being the top.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=169&scid=12

there ya go so you can avoid anymore "foot in mouth" episodes.

Also.. Appalachia is the town of Grundy... county is Buchanan.

anyway... is a terrible tragedy. I have a family member at VCU but luckily the med school is on the outskirts of the main campus.

Also.. Appalachia is the town of Grundy... county is Buchanan.

Whoops.... sorry. I must have been thinking of the assorted Grundy Counties in the other assorted states where I've lived. Thanks for the correction.

Virginia has the highest murder rate in the US? Are you sure? Better yet, please give evidence for this claim. I think you're wrong.

If this shooting at a university in Blacksburg, VA makes you seriously consider not going to Pharm school in Grundy County (Appalachia), Winchester (Shenandoah), or VCU (Richmond), then I submit that you are drastically geographically challenged, or you don't read the news.

This is a tragic situation for all of us in Virginia, but it absolutely is NOT about you and your choice of pharmacy schools.

I actually heard that from a friend and after seeing your comments I looked it up and realized it was misleading information, and I should have looked it up first before making a comment about it. However, just because I was misled about a topic does not give you the right and this goes for you too triumphb, to be ignorant, distasteful, and make scathing remarks toward me or about my character. And Eelo I never said it was about me and my choice of pharmacy schools, obviously if you are going to move somewhere, you want to consider all factor pros AND cons. I sincerely hope that your attitudes here today will in NO WAY reflect the type of attitude you tend to have towards people as a pharmacist.

Is there any information on the reason this happened?

It's sad how every time people start to forget one shooting, another one comes along.

My heart goes out to the families, friends, and the entire campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually heard that from a friend and after seeing your comments I looked it up and realized it was misleading information, and I should have looked it up first before making a comment about it. However, just because I was misled about a topic does not give you the right and this goes for you too triumphb, to be ignorant, distasteful, and make scathing remarks toward me or about my character. And Eelo I never said it was about me and my choice of pharmacy schools, obviously if you are going to move somewhere, you want to consider all factor pros AND cons. I sincerely hope that your attitudes here today will in NO WAY reflect the type of attitude you tend to have towards people as a pharmacist.

You (not me, not triumphb) mischaracterized an entire state and the safety of its higher educational institutions based on erroneous information (otherwise known as "gossip") that you passed on as fact (an action otherwise known as "ignorance"). Then, to make matters worse, you took this horrible tragedy and focused it on your own fears for your personal safety while parents, brothers, sisters, friends, neighbors, colleagues and classmates are still waiting for word about their loved ones' safety. Once again- it's not about you.

Do not assume that I am, am going to be, or ever was, a pharmacist. You know nothing of me or my professional history and qualifications, and your erroneous assumption here is yet another example of ignorance in full-color display (often referred to as "foot-in-mouth disease" in the vernacular). However, your judgemental attitude, which appears to be steeped in conclusions you've jumped to based on your own ignorance and misinformation, not to mention your admitted failure to verify facts, will likely prove to be dangerous for you in the future if you do not change your ways.

I wish you luck in all your future endeavors.

I kind of feel bad myself. One of my classmates did his undergrad at VA Tech , and his future wife is just finishing her bachelors degree there. I did not see it on the news at about 12:00 noon and starting talking about the classes in a cheery way (basically they are so hard in my PHD program we actually count the number of days until the final!), and he seemed somewhat upset. And I did not know what it was until I went home and turned on the news! I was pretty shocked!!

You (not me, not triumphb) mischaracterized an entire state and the safety of its higher educational institutions based on erroneous information (otherwise known as "gossip") that you passed on as fact (an action otherwise known as "ignorance"). Then, to make matters worse, you took this horrible tragedy and focused it on your own fears for your personal safety while parents, brothers, sisters, friends, neighbors, colleagues and classmates are still waiting for word about their loved ones' safety. Once again- it's not about you.

Do not assume that I am, am going to be, or ever was, a pharmacist. You know nothing of me or my professional history and qualifications, and your erroneous assumption here is yet another example of ignorance in full-color display (often referred to as "foot-in-mouth disease" in the vernacular). However, your judgemental attitude, which appears to be steeped in conclusions you've jumped to based on your own ignorance and misinformation, not to mention your admitted failure to verify facts, will likely prove to be dangerous for you in the future if you do not change your ways.

wow, it's not that serious to be arguging over a forum, continue if you want, im done with it. you should focus all this energy on your own life and not trying to put down someone else

It's sad how every time people start to forget one shooting, another one comes along.

My heart goes out to the families, friends, and the entire campus.

It's also great that the media keeps on referring to the tragedy as the worst shooting in US history since some crazy bastard is going to go about doing something more outlandish for the sake of beating the record.

Haha, it's like he says to himself, "I'm going to tell somebody off in the most pretentious way that can be theoretically conceived. In fact, I want him to read it and think I speak with an English accent."....and he goes and does it.

Nothing personal, it just humors me in an unintentional way.

It's also great that the media keeps on referring to the tragedy as the worst shooting in US history since some crazy bastard is going to go about doing something more outlandish for the sake of beating the record.

Worst shooting in US history? Hell, there have been worser shootings in Wayne County, West Virginia over coal mine labor; let alone the Civil War, Manifest Destiny, The Revolutionary War, The War of 1812, and the battle for Texas against Mexico....among others. Stupid media needs to get some historic perspective.

Worst shooting in US history? Hell, there have been worser shootings in Wayne County, West Virginia over coal mine labor; let alone the Civil War, Manifest Destiny, The Revolutionary War, The War of 1812, and the battle for Texas against Mexico....among others. Stupid media needs to get some historic perspective.

um hello? you're comparing a WAR to a maniac shooting UNARMED students who are just trying to get an education? in terms of the situation...it IS the worst shooting in US history

um hello? you're comparing a WAR to a maniac shooting UNARMED students who are just trying to get an education? in terms of the situation...it IS the worst shooting in US history

Maybe the worst SCHOOL shooting in history, but not the worst shooting in US history. Just look up Native American history and you'll find much worse. Not to say this isn't a tragedy. One of my high school friends lost a classmate, he's terribly shaken.

Please keep the posting civil - Locked topics are poor for discussion...

Constructive insights - and perhaps a few prayers fit the bill

~above~

hey all.

my thoughts and condolences and prayers to those who were at all affected by the shootings.

this kind of thing really made me realize that problems like grades, and applications, and everything else thats stressful about getting into pharmacy school is NOTHING compared to what those students had to go through today. and its just another example that what is most important in life is your family and friends and your health.

I am just amazed and horrified and there are no words to describe how horrible it is.

Much love to all.

Please keep the posting civil - Locked topics are poor for discussion...

They actually offered me the "advisor" title on these forums, but I turned it down because I didn't want to have to be the guy going around ruining people's fun.

It's just like in the first year of college when the RA busts in your dorm room and makes you turn down your stereo and writes you up for having an unregistered female guest in your room. Except this is on the internet....and much, much nerdier....

Guys, those victims involved are human beings like us. Instead of arguing about stupid stuffs, why don't we use the opportunity to send our love to the victims and their families and argue on something else. Like my girlfriend used to say and i quote "if you pause to think, you will have reason to thank." My condolences to the families of the deceased and well wishes to those that were injured. God bless us.

My sincere condolences to all who were affected by this tradegy. You are in my prayers.

mountie-solidarity.gif

They actually offered me the "advisor" title on these forums, but I turned it down because I didn't want to have to be the guy going around ruining people's fun.

It's just like in the first year of college when the RA busts in your dorm room and makes you turn down your stereo and writes you up for having an unregistered female guest in your room. Except this is on the internet....and much, much nerdier....

Oh, and I'm writing you up for ... oh wait, sorry briefcase got to my head, or did it hit me in the head. I forgot. Post on.

And I agree, 1/2 mast at VT very appropriate. Add my condolences to the list.

Hi Everyone

Thank you for the support that you are showing for Virginia Tech. I am finishing up my Bachelor's here and live on campus, so obviously, these events have been tragic for myself and those around me. This has been such an awful day and everyone at VT appreciates the respect that is being shown to our school.

Thank you again

when i saw that story, i immediately cried. god bless those who died

It sounds like everything started with Columbine.. then suicide shooters just randomly follow the 'trend'.... stupidity..

May God Bless those who have been hurt, injured, died yesterday... and all family/friends/readers/listeners affected by this tragic moment

Did anyone see the blip on Fox News that the killer MAY have been on anti-depressants?? Maybe they should wait until they KNOW-before they report stuff like that. Another anti-depressant murder case... Perhaps? Maybe?

my prayers to all the victims... it's just shocking to know that you get to class on a normal morning and never get to do the same task the next day...

i would like to express my condolences to the victims, family of the victims, and the family of the gunman. this is just absolutely horrible. as a South Korean I hope this does not stir up any racial tensions.

i would like to express my condolences to the victims, family of the victims, and the family of the gunman. this is just absolutely horrible. as a South Korean I hope this does not stir up any racial tensions.

It shouldn't. The guy has lived here over half his life; he's a registered alien, but he's been here since 1992 (he was 15 then).

God Bless those people who had been shot in the Virginia Tech. masscare. I think the shoter is unforgiveable at this point.

It shouldn't. The guy has lived here over half his life; he's a registered alien, but he's been here since 1992 (he was 15 then).

actually... he was 8 years old in 1992. So he's definitely been in the US for a long time. He's 23 right now.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims and family members.

No matter what reasons behind killing, those who killed these innocent students (Virginia Tech) and children (Amish School Shooting) should not be forgiven.
My thoughts are with the victims of shooting at Virginia Tech and even at Amish Community as well.

I personally don't see how he could have a reason to commit all of the killings. So they say he was a loner, how can that be on a campus of over 26,000 students, not to mention the fact that there were kids in one of his English class who tried to get him to talk. I believe he wanted to do this and that there was no way to prevent him from killing anyone. His teacher took his writings to administration and to campus police, both of which said nothing could be done about it. And then, he rejected going to counseling... I don't get it and it makes me angry to hear about this kid. I wish so badly that none of this ever happened and it scares me being that I go to a large school with kids who have so many different personalities. My heart goes out to the families who lost a loved one and to the students who had dreams of going on to do better things and now they can't because of one person's inability or not wanting to become a more rational being. It's sad. This whole thing is just sad.

My condolences to everyone who was affected by this tragedy. I can't just believe that some crazy kid could commit so many brutal murders. Since Monday, I have been following the news. It obviously raises some questions about gun control and security on campuses.

virginiatech.jpg

Virginia Tech family members across the country have united to declare
this Friday, April 20th, an "Orange and Maroon Effect" day to honor
those killed in the tragic events on campus Monday, and to show support
for Virginia Tech students, faculty, administrators, staff, alumni, and
friends. "Orange and Maroon Effect" was born several years ago as an
invitation to Tech fans to wear orange and maroon to Virginia Tech
athletic events. "We invite everyone from all over the country to be a
part of the Virginia Tech family this Friday, to wear orange and maroon
to support the families of those who were lost, and to support the
school and community we all love so much."

Please spread the word.

I've been trying so hard to concentrate since hearing the news, but I just can't get over it :( May God give the victims' families the strength and power to cope with such a tragic loss...

Virginia Tech, stay strong...our prayers are with you.