Virtual EMDR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beginner2011

Beginner's Mind
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this has been getting advertised to me all over the place lately. Has anyone else come across this?

Some of the claims on their website seem wildly irresponsible to me. It seems like they haven't done any actual evaluation of the effectiveness of their virtual implementation of EMDR and are just claiming it's as effective as the in-person intervention. Crazy. Wonder how long until someone goes to the trouble of suing them for false advertising or some such.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I seriously want to know the marketing strategy that EMDR used to become so revered despite being proprietary psuedoscience.

Probably the same ones that convinced people they can “cleanse” their body of “toxins”, that organic food is pesticide-free, and that taking unregulated intravenous vitamins is a good idea. People are suggestible. I think it’s way harder to actually market reality than to market hype.

Reactions: 1 user
I seriously want to know the marketing strategy that EMDR used to become so revered despite being proprietary psuedoscience.
It's probably a combination of aversion to PE or CBT plus neuroscience-sounding pseudoscience making it look more appealing and validating the patient's symptoms and concerns and as more "real."

Reactions: 4 users
There are mid levels in my clinic who exclusively use EMDR for any 'trauma' complaints (incudling non criterion A) and sequelae, and are trying to tell us psychologists that there is now research that it can be helpful as well for other disorders.

It's the most sad and aggravating thing.

Reactions: 2 users
There are mid levels in my clinic who exclusively use EMDR for any 'trauma' complaints (incudling non criterion A) and sequelae, and are trying to tell us psychologists that there is now research that it can be helpful as well for other disorders.

It's the most sad and aggravating thing.

Just ask them for the RCT that includes a dismantling paradigm supporting such claims. Or, ask them to explain the neurological mechanism of action of the eye movements.

Reactions: 5 users
Putting issues with EMDR aside, this website is sketchy as heck. The "About Us" page does not even give the full names of the founders, just a biographical narrative that's vague and doesn't give enough information to judge their background. If I'm expected to fork over $69 a month for something, then I'd like to know at least the basics of who leads the company.

Reactions: 1 user
I know people who do EMDR for substance use, even. Like, how does that even work in terms of the supposed rationale and underlying mechanisms (which I know aren't supported by research anyway)?

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
It's probably a combination of aversion to PE or CBT plus neuroscience-sounding pseudoscience making it look more appealing and validating the patient's symptoms and concerns and as more "real."
Ironically, PE is the active treatment component of EMDR, of course, which always gets me,

Reactions: 3 users
I always explain exposure in neurological terms to my students partly for this reason.

I love David Tolin's explanation of ERP for the OCD tv show he did. I often take select bits of it when I'm explaining the rationale for exposure to my patients. It's accurate, plus it's incredibly compelling because brain.

Reactions: 1 users
I know people who do EMDR for substance use, even. Like, how does that even work in terms of the supposed rationale and underlying mechanisms (which I know aren't supported by research anyway)?

YES. This is what I was talking about, specifically. Like. What. It is so prevalent within the LCSW world I doubt if you reported these folks any one would bat an eye.