Virtual shadowing programs offered by medical schools ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cafenoir

Reaction score
How is "Student Evaluation of Real-Time Virtual Immersive Clinical Experience" offered by UMSOM compared to other virtual shadow programs out there ? There are conflicting opinions regarding the value of virtual shadow but wondering if this program differs and can be used for doctor shadowing experience?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Virtual shadowing is almost worthless, regardless of how it is dressed up. The fact that someone took the time to put their experience into a poster format doesn't change that.

If you are in a very rural area with no other options for shadowing, then this may be a reasonable place to start. But at some point you need to get the bulk of your clinical experience in person.

Reactions: 9 users
I have interviewed many med school admissions directors. Most of them looked at virtual shadowing as a covid necessity and a poor second best to in-person shadowing and in-person clinical exposure. Obviously, as @GoSpursGo said, if you really can't do it in person, OK. Or it you're just starting to explore clinical medicine and your options are virtual shadowing or nothing, do it. But don't stop there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for the input and yes, I do have about 150 hours of in-person shadowing in addition to this virtual shadowing experience. One of many benefits I got out of this opportunity was the sessions with doctors and medical students where I was able to learn more about the path to medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Virtual Shadowing is like watching a YouTube video of/or a lecture. Or reading a book or an article. Even if you have to fill out an assessment form or a quiz, it is just a snapshot. You need more depth and insight into a career than this.

Thank you all for the input and yes, I do have about 150 hours of in-person shadowing in addition to this virtual shadowing experience. One of many benefits I got out of this opportunity was the sessions with doctors and medical students where I was able to learn more about the path to medicine.
As long as you got something out of it, that's fine. But in regards to whether it is helpful for your med school application, I don't think so.

150 hours by itself is way too many. You need some clinical experience where you are a more active participant (ie scribe, MA, patient transport, etc)

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you very much for your recommendation. I also have some clinical experience and will continue to look for opportunities to add more.

I'm a currently a junior and plan to take MCAT in January 2024. Depending on the MCAT result, I will decide whether to apply for the next cycle. What do you recommend for the total hours of clinical and non-clinical volunteers to get past the screen out process?

Depending on the MCAT result, I will decide whether to apply for the next cycle. What do you recommend for the total hours of clinical and non-clinical volunteers to get past the screen out process?
You should take the MCAT when you are 100% satisfied and ready. Schools could average scores when screening your application so make the first test count.

You should have at least 50 hours of shadowing that includes primary care, 100-150 additional clinical experience hours, and 150 hours of service orientation community service upon submission (future hours don't count). Other schools may want much more depending on mussion.