Technology virus software

Started by Su4n2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Su4n2

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I am pretty computer illiterate, i just got a new computer, what kind of virus software should i get and where should i get it. I'd appreciate your help. Thanx
 
Su4n2 said:
Hey guys, I am pretty computer illiterate, i just got a new computer, what kind of virus software should i get and where should i get it. I'd appreciate your help. Thanx


I like Norton Antivirus (just the antivirus, none of their other stuff) or McAfee.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys, my husband informs me that some norton software came with the computer (Dell). Is this good enough? Thanx for your advice!
 
Yes, Norton Anti-Virus is a great program. Just make sure you keep it updated (and keep Windows updated). No AV program guarantees complete virus protection - new viruses come out all the time, and it's simply impossible to protect against them all immediately. I remember when Sasser hit our school network (UCLA) last year - not a single AV program was able to recognize it (that was not a fun week at work).
Use a firewall, Anti-Virus, and make sure automatic updates is on.
 
A little tip: always keep your anti-virus software updated! Do it once every week.
 
Su4n2 said:
hey guys, my husband informs me that some norton software came with the computer (Dell). Is this good enough? Thanx for your advice!

Yea, but keep in mind that Dell has been recently sending trial versions of anti-virus. It is usually just good for 3-6 months.
 
flighterdoc said:
Hmm. Thats why I use Norton. I don't get viruses 🙂
It was my own fault. I KNEW that attachment was infected, but I took the risk to warn others. Mcaffee shut it down instantaneously, though.
 
antivirus isn't helpful without a firewall, be sure you have one.

Norton, McAfee, zone Alram, and PC-Cillin all have good anti-virus programs and firewalls. It is a matter of preference. I prefer zonealarm firewall and antivirus, but also really like Pc-cillins.

there are some good tips on how to further protect your pc at www.grc.com (gibson research corporation website). they have a leak tester that will check the effectiveness of your firewall from within your PC as a trojan would. they have a program called shields up, that will ping your computer and tell you what ports are open (this means you are visible online). and they have a lot of other programs and suggestions for security.

be smart about security. don't download anything you're not familiar with. Look to web sites and trusted magazines such as pc magazine or pc world and follow their pc security suggestions.

You can do a google search for pc security, but you'll turn up a lot of suspect web sites.

aslo, never download any popups. My little brother is horrible at this. there are several pop ups designed to look like computer programs or alerts... just close them... thinkg like "your computer may be infected... click here to delete" or " your computer may be running slow, click here to speed up" etc.

also, use a spyware remover. there are a couple of good ones you can get for free at download.com, namely spybot search and destry (S&D), and Ad aware.

be educated!

bb
 
Is Xp's built-in firewall enough or would you guys recommend a separate firewall?
 
GATORade said:
Is Xp's built-in firewall enough or would you guys recommend a separate firewall?

I would recommend a separate firewall either hardware of software and have that XP firewall disabled. All curent routers have built-in hardware firewall. I have both my router set up and McAfee firewall.
 
Norton is good but SYGATE is the best.coz norton slows down the comp but no such probelm ever occurs with sygate.try it and beat the viruses.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad