Technology MD who likes software engineering.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ykza5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Just before getting flamed for not being a med student hear me out first.

I graduated from medical school this year outside US. That will make me an IMG and currently I'm doing my preparations to take step 1. So basically, still a student, now to my problem (or inquiry).

I've always love computer technology since I was a child. In high school, me and my friends designed a very simple software for one of our teachers, and since then I've always had this craving for software development. My parents kind of pushed me to Med school, and I say "kind of" because I too liked the idea of becoming a MD.

I've looked at other posts and there seems to be something for MDs that are also interested in software engineering. Please elaborate on this, are there courses I can take? what kind of job will that get me?.

Bare in mind I love medicine and I'm going to go for my boards certification no matter what in order to get into residency, but I will love to have something where I can mix both things, so any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

There's definitely some computer science courses you can take, and there's increasingly plenty of free, good quality online courses and content. Look into Massively Online Open Courseware (MOOC) offered by MIT, Stanford, et al.

Mobile software development such as for iOS and Android is really hot as a career right now, and you may want to look into the Developer sections on Apple's and Google's websites. You can leverage your medical education and training into useful medical apps -- there's a lot out there already, but I am positive there are plenty of avenues to carve your own niche. Plus, you can work from home and be your own boss and get your feet wet. Apple charges $99/year to join their iOS developer community *rolls eyes*, and Google's is free.

Mobile software development such as for iOS and Android is really hot as a career right now, and you may want to look into the Developer sections on Apple's and Google's websites. You can leverage your medical education and training into useful medical apps -- there's a lot out there already, but I am positive there are plenty of avenues to carve your own niche. Plus, you can work from home and be your own boss and get your feet wet. Apple charges $99/year to join their iOS developer community *rolls eyes*, and Google's is free.

I've tried mobile apps before, yes is something I might be interested in, but freelancing is not good for me right now. I want to have a job where I can have the experience of working in that field.
I'm hoping to be done with the mayor steps (1 and 2ck) this year, so next year will be great for taking some courses in college, if any of you guys can suggest something on this matter? as all I have plan to do for next year are observerships

Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried mobile apps before, yes is something I might be interested in, but freelancing is not good for me right now. I want to have a job where I can have the experience of working in that field.
I'm hoping to be done with the mayor steps (1 and 2ck) this year, so next year will be great for taking some courses in college, if any of you guys can suggest something on this matter? as all I have plan to do for next year are observerships

OK, I wasn't aware you'd have so much free time while studying for Steps 1 & 2 and applying to residency. Will this whole process take several years? You won't necessarily have enough time to take enough classes then apply to a full-time developer job...only to have to explain why you're leaving all the time for residency interviews. Let alone study for Steps 1 & 2. If you finish Steps 1 and 2CK this year, won't you be applying for residency? You won't have time at all to "get a job in the field," which is why I'm confused as to your career goals. The only option is being your own boss, and it's odd that you'd rather be a W-2 employee than your own boss. You won't be able to land a job only to quit for PGY-1.

Regarding traditional college classes, find any freshman level Computer Science class to learn the fundamentals of programming theory. Usually taught in C++ or Java. It would be good to follow up with second semester course work in Data Structures.

If you want a "lighter" introduction to programming compared to Computer Science, there's always the more IT/business focused majors like CIS (Computer Information Systems) and MIS (Management Information Systems), which will still introduce you to programming, albeit on a watered down level. Maybe take a C#.NET class to learn it.

I still recommend the Massively Open Online Courses. Most are free, and you can learn from the comfort of your own home and at your own pace. Knowledge is knowledge, and the old school mentality of paying for a university class and being a sheep in the system is being shaken at its core (a good thing!).

OK, I wasn't aware you'd have so much free time while studying for Steps 1 & 2 and applying to residency. Will this whole process take several years? You won't necessarily have enough time to take enough classes then apply to a full-time developer job...only to have to explain why you're leaving all the time for residency interviews. Let alone study for Steps 1 & 2. If you finish Steps 1 and 2CK this year, won't you be applying for residency? You won't have time at all to "get a job in the field," which is why I'm confused as to your career goals. The only option is being your own boss, and it's odd that you'd rather be a W-2 employee than your own boss. You won't be able to land a job only to quit for PGY-1.

Regarding traditional college classes, find any freshman level Computer Science class to learn the fundamentals of programming theory. Usually taught in C++ or Java. It would be good to follow up with second semester course work in Data Structures.

If you want a "lighter" introduction to programming compared to Computer Science, there's always the more IT/business focused majors like CIS (Computer Information Systems) and MIS (Management Information Systems), which will still introduce you to programming, albeit on a watered down level. Maybe take a C#.NET class to learn it.

I still recommend the Massively Open Online Courses. Most are free, and you can learn from the comfort of your own home and at your own pace. Knowledge is knowledge, and the old school mentality of paying for a university class and being a sheep in the system is being shaken at its core (a good thing!).

Sorry I forgot something really important. I'm not from the USA, my dad has been working here for several years and he is a resident now so he is helping me out with my green card. I am going to apply to residency next year yes, but I know is not easy for IMG to get into recidency much less without a resident or citizen status. That's why I want to have a second choice if I don't get into residency right away. Taking small college courses is a way to legally stay in the US while I wait for my green card (takes 2 years) that's of course if Im not able to get into residency next year.

Great, best of luck with your process to get your green card and into a US residency. :)

In this case, taking some programming courses would be the best option right now. C++, C#, Java, or "Intro to Programming" or something.

Thank you, just to clarify a bit more. I asked about the jobs because if there were jobs in the subject I could get into that need some specific course Ill try to do it once I have my green card. Again all of this is a "maybe" scenario in case of not getting a residency.

Hi ykza5,

- You could consider a more quantitatively-oriented clinical specialty, such as radiology, family medicine, or neurology.

- There is a new ACGME clinical informatics fellowship.

- You could consider working as a consultant to an EHR company, or as a health subject matter expert for a software/IT company.

- Check out IBM's opportunities, specifically in the area of Watson.

Hope this helps.