Viruses: Animal vs. Bacterial Infecting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to make sure I have the differences covered.

Animal viruses attach to a receptor protein to recognize the host cell, enter the host cell via endocytosis, and bring their capsid into the host cell.
[i did not know the bolded part is true: is it?]

Bacteriophages, viruses that infect bacteria, also attach to a receptor on the host cell membrane, but enter by landing/attachment/contracting/penetrating and injecting.

Is it true bacteriophages leave their capsid outside, animal viruses bring their capsid into the cell, but both have receptor-specific methods of attachment?

Members don't see this ad.

Animal viruses attach to a receptor protein to recognize the host cell, enter the host cell via endocytosis, and bring their capsid into the host cell.

Bacteriophages, viruses that infect bacteria, also attach to a receptor on the host cell membrane, but enter by landing/attachment/contracting/penetrating and injecting.

Is it true bacteriophages leave their capsid outside, animal viruses bring their capsid into the cell, but both have receptor-specific methods of attachment?

Yes... animal viruses enter the cell via endocytosis. They don't really have a "capsid" like you would see on a T even or lambda phage... instead their outer protenaecous covering comes in different packages... retroviruses, for example, have an envelope-like structure. Some bacteriophages are specific for certain strains of bacteria, some are not. Retroviruses found in animals, such as HIV, are receptor specific (in the case of HIV, it attaches to the CD4 protein found on helper T cells).

All that you said is generally true. There are certainly exceptions in each category, as with most things in biology (from [http://bioinfo.bact.wisc.edu/themicrobialworld/AnimalViruses.html]: occasionally non enveloped viruses leave their capsid outside the cell while the genome passes into the cell).

Members don't see this ad :)

i know its irrelevant, but let me aSK U ,WHERE CAN I GET PRACTICE TEST TO PRACTICE