visa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagerlearner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all
I wanna know has anyone heard of any IMG pursuing radiology on an H1...??
I know that its really tough and all ...but i want to know if its absolutely unheard of or there are precedences?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't have much to do with the specialty, more with institutional policy. Some suprisingly large and academic places will do H1b without squealing while some dinky community hospitals won't do it. I wouldn't make it an issue while searching for a position. Find the position first, sort out the paperwork later. Some places that 'don't do h1b' will do it when faced with the possibility of having to recruit someone else.

f_w said:
It doesn't have much to do with the specialty, more with institutional policy. Some suprisingly large and academic places will do H1b without squealing while some dinky community hospitals won't do it. I wouldn't make it an issue while searching for a position. Find the position first, sort out the paperwork later. Some places that 'don't do h1b' will do it when faced with the possibility of having to recruit someone else.

thanks f_w,

but i really wanna know if there has been some1 who has done radiology on an h1...bcoz what i hv heard is that j1 is kind of a rule..so even for research in radiology, if given j1, its ok...!
is that so...isnt there any1 who has done it on h1?

thanks in advance....

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know anyone in radiology, but I have helped people to get H1s in specialties like GS and EM. It is not so much the specialty that counts but rather the policy of the particular employer. Some places will rather leave a position unfilled or pass over a well qualified candidate because they want to save the 2k in filing fees, others will negotiate.

(and whats up with this prebubescent internet chatroom hacked up english. extremely difficult to read and highly annoying.)

eagerlearner said:
thanks f_w,

but i really wanna know if there has been some1 who has done radiology on an h1...bcoz what i hv heard is that j1 is kind of a rule..so even for research in radiology, if given j1, its ok...!
is that so...isnt there any1 who has done it on h1?

thanks in advance....

Yes, I know a couple of people who have done it on an H1. As f_w pointed out, it is irrelevant whether it's radiology, medicine, or surgery. The reason you haven't seen it, is that radiology is competitive enough to have only few IMGs, and programs may not be keen on taking someone who wants an H1, with all the inherent problems of getting an H1 on time. The most common problem with H1s was that the number of visa quotas would fill up early, and the accepted PGY-1s would not be able to start until sometime in October (start of new fiscal year for visa quotas), and then they would finish their PGY-1 late and cause problems with their PGY-2 radiology residency. It was guaranteed that if a PD had faced or heard of a situation like this, they would take someone wanting an H-1. That said, yes, people have done that.

The quota is rarely an issue for residencies. Pretty much all rads residencies are at university affiliated teaching hospitals and therefore cap-exempt.

The hospitals are too cheap to pay the 2k filing fee and the attorney expenses that come with a H1b. (With the J, the resident pays all the expenses, with the H1 the law requires the employer to pay.)