Viscerosomatic Reflex & Chapman Points

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnguy005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any OMT gods out there? Im a little confused between viscerosomatic reflex points and chapman points. Are these points used for treatment or diagnosis? If treatment, how do you manipulate these points (ie: do you do HVLA, muscle energy, etc to these levels to stimulate them?)

Also, from my understanding of Savarese, Viscerosomatic reflexes INHIBIT the parasympathic pathways, and Chapman points INHIBIT the sympathetics?

Lets say, for an example, a pt has excessive diarrhea. What is the approach for treating this patient? Inhibit the parasympathetics or stimulate Chapman pts?

Members don't see this ad.

Any OMT gods out there? Im a little confused between viscerosomatic reflex points and chapman points. Are these points used for treatment or diagnosis? If treatment, how do you manipulate these points (ie: do you do HVLA, muscle energy, etc to these levels to stimulate them?)

Also, from my understanding of Savarese, Viscerosomatic reflexes INHIBIT the parasympathic pathways, and Chapman points INHIBIT the sympathetics?

Lets say, for an example, a pt has excessive diarrhea. What is the approach for treating this patient? Inhibit the parasympathetics or stimulate Chapman pts?

Wrong forum, hippie! We dont believe in TOUCHING patients. (Ewh)

I'll bite.

Viscerosomatic: Reflex levels are typically related to sympathetics. Anything thoracic or lumbar is sympathetic. Anything involving a level at the OA or the sacrum is parasympathetic. Treatment of these levels can be anything that treats that area of the body, but most questions I've had on my Qbanks involved HLVA, rib raising or some other direct technique. To use your example, a pt with diarrhea would have TART changes at T10-L2; from that we can infer that there is some sympathetic upregulation; so we could apply any OMM techinque to the area causing a downregulation of sympathetics (the logic being that the organ is upset blah blah blah spinal reflex levels blah blah blah musculature at the same levels). If you treat the changes at the level, it can send a signal to the organ to calm down. Bear in mind that if there is some chronic problem (like cancer), the dysfunction will return. You also might want to address parasympathetics, and bear in mind where the Vagus/OA portion ends and where the Sacral portion begins in the gut. Most questions for most organs, you deal with the sympathetics first, but be wary in cases with an MI and an asthma flare. The chart in Savarese is excellent for these guys.

Chapman's points are (from what I recall) little collections of ganglionic edema (or something similar). They are specific to the organ, and I've only ever had Qbank questions asking for the association between the diagnosis/organ and the correct point. Mind that there are anterior and posterior points. Treating them involves a pressure applied with circular rotation until release is felt or the patient cannot tolerate it, but again, I've never had a question on using them for treatment. The big green monster book of OMMness has a chart that covers all of them. Just memorize the chart and move on.

Overaching points: usually treat the sympathetic levels first, memorize the charts as noted, be careful in MI and asthma (and no, I don't advocate using OMM for those situations, but the boards might). I hope that was mildly helpful.

Reactions: 1 users