Visible tattoos in the work place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member6677

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a recently licensed psychologist and work at a college counseling center in NJ. What are thoughts on visible tattoos at work? I have covered them throughout my entire training and wear a cardigan with everything. I have a chest tattoo that I generally show if it peeks out of a top. However, I am also heavily inked on my arms. As warmer months approach us in NJ, I have been considering showing my arms at work.

I am sure some opinions will be based on theoretical orientation, but would love to hear from some CC folks!

Thanks,
M

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I'm a recently licensed psychologist and work at a college counseling center in NJ. What are thoughts on visible tattoos at work? I have covered them throughout my entire training and wear a cardigan with everything. I have a chest tattoo that I generally show if it peeks out of a top. However, I am also heavily inked on my arms. As warmer months approach us in NJ, I have been considering showing my arms at work.

I am sure some opinions will be based on theoretical orientation, but would love to hear from some CC folks!

Thanks,
M

I'm not at a CCC, but I do work at a university as well as in a hospital setting. I imagine the answer to this lies largely in the specifics of your work place environment. For example, I'm in the midwest at a small regional state school and a children's hospital. The tattoos would be seen as unprofessional at the hospital, but totally fine at the university. If instead of being at the regional state school, I was working at the small liberal arts catholic college down the street, it also might not fly. But, the midwest tends to run a little more conservative than the coasts. All of this is to say, if you are truly concerned, I think your best bet is to check in with someone you trust within your specific professional setting. They would probably give you the best answer!

Personally I really could care less. However, we have a policy against visible tattoos in my company. We primarily do home-based services with young children, and most of them have young (20's-early 30's parents). I don't know if it's a regional or cultural thing, but it is extremely rare for me to work with a parent who does not have a visible tattoo. Most of our direct clinicians are in their 20's, and also have tattoos. It just seems to be the norm around here. Our agency policies regarding ink were set by senior management, who base their decision partially on their historical views that tats were associated with delinquency and bad choices. It does seem a little silly to me that our staff need to hide their tats so as to not offend/frighten a) the kiddos who are consistently exposed to tats; and b) the parents who are covered in tats. Oh well, if the guy who signs your paychecks says to not show your ink, you don't show your ink. I think the policy also gives the agency the ability to make employees cover up any particularly nasty or offensive tats.

I don't have any tattoos myself (mainly out of fear of commitment and a realization that I have had MANY bad ideas and been into some pretty silly stuff in the past and would be totally embarrassed to have a permanent reminder of these things. Back when I was starting out in the field I worked as a CNA in a geriatric care facility and found that many of the clients would comment disparagingly on my earrings (in both ears). It was a generational thing, I was in their "home", and they weren't a necessary component of my job, so I took them out.

Members don't see this ad :)
College counseling centers are usually pretty lax; I've known people with nose rings, tattoos, and purple hair work in CCC. Are you in a liberal area or more conservative? Do the clients you see have tattoos? What about the other psychologists you work with? I think your best bet is to run it by your boss.

I've wondered this myself. No tats, but I do want to get my ears pierced (that's one rebellion I never got to have when I was younger lol). I dress conservatively during the work week, but on the weekends it's ripped jeans, studded belts, and military boots.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently a trainee at a CCC in Philadelphia. I have a fair number of tattoos on my arm, large and colorful, not easily hidden. Thus far I've never hidden them from colleagues at any center I've worked at beyond the interview. I often wear cardigans with clients but I'm not opposed to rolling up my sleeves if it's hot. I can't recall a single client or colleague that has said anything, positive or negative. They seem content to ignore them, and I'm perfectly happy with that. But, like mentioned by other posters, it likely has a lot to do with environment, region, workplace culture, etc. Lucky for us, I think our field, and society in general, is becoming more accepting of tattoos.

I don't think I've ever been at a prac site without at least one prac student or employee with visible tattoos. This might vary geographically, but here (in the northeast) at least it seems like a non-issue.