Vision problem - pursuing ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently in medical school and considering a career in ophthalmology. My one reservation is the fact that I have developed a decently large floater in my visual field that comes / goes and is exaggerated by bright light. My vision is otherwise perfect. Will this floater be an issue when I am trying to examine OTHER patients eyes / performing surgery? Anybody have a similar experience?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am currently in medical school and considering a career in ophthalmology. My one reservation is the fact that I have developed a decently large floater in my visual field that comes / goes and is exaggerated by bright light. My vision is otherwise perfect. Will this floater be an issue when I am trying to examine OTHER patients eyes / performing surgery? Anybody have a similar experience?

Thank you for your time!

Floaters are very common. I have a rather annoying one in my left eye. It's especially nice when I'm scanning across a chart note. As long as you know it's something that's in your eye, and not in the patient's, it really shouldn't be an issue.