Vision therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatone1010

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

What is the difference between vision therapy and low vision, is there a big difference between the two, and can you specialize in either of the two right after you get your OD or do you need to go for further training?

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the definitions that I got from the AOA website:

--------------------------------------
Vision Therapy-

Optometric vision therapy is an individualized treatment regimen prescribed for a patient in order to:
Provide medically necessary treatment for diagnosed visual dysfunctions;
Prevent the development of visual problems; or
Enhance visual performance to meet defined needs of the patient.
Optometric vision therapy is appropriate treatment for visual conditions which include, but are not limited to:

Strabismic and non-strabismic binocular dysfunction;
Amblyopia;
Accommodative dysfunction;
Ocular motor dysfunction;
Visual motor disorders; and
Visual perceptual (visual information processing) disorders.
The systemic use of lenses, prisms, filters, occlusion and other appropriate materials, modalities, equipment and procedures is integral to optometric vision therapy. The goals of the prescribed treatment regimen are to alleviate the signs and symptoms, achieve desired visual outcomes, meet the patient's visual needs and improve the patient's quality of life.

--------------------------
Low vision-

Doctors of Optometry who specialize in low vision care are skilled in the examination, treatment and management of patients with visual impairments not fully treatable by medical, surgical or conventional eyewear or contact lenses. Each type of low vision problem requires a different therapeutic approach. A thorough examination by an optometrist, which will also include tests to determine the patient's current vision status, may also include a vision rehabilitation program to enhance remaining vision skills.

---------------

I'm not in optometry school (so please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong), but the definitions seem to say that vision therapy involves treating a problem that can be corrected while low vision therapy cannot restore sight to the patient but can only enhance what little vision they have.

I went through vision therapy myself when I was younger because I was born with strabismus (esotropia). I believe it would very rewarding if you decide to specialize in vision therapy, but you'll also need a lot of patience. I started going through therapy when I was only 6 months old, and I was not the easiest kid to deal with. =)

For specialization, graduates complete a residency program (approx. 1 year) in their interested field. However, I have heard from an optometrist that you do not have to go through a residency program to say that you "specialize" in a field. According to this doctor, you can come out of optometry school and say that you specialize in a certain field because there are no certifications involved. I'm not 100% sure if this is correct, though. Also, not that many graduates choose to do a residency program. Usually, the people that do decide to do a residency program want to see more patients in a specialized area and to gain some more experience.

I hope some optometry students can post their thoughts, since I'm not sure if this is 100% correct.

Best wishes,

Rosanna

Personally, I've wanted to do low vision since the day I got interested in optometry. I want to do my residency at Lighthouse for the Blind in Chicago (an ICO affiliate).

Eyegirl

You can specialize in either out of school, although a residency is encouraged. You do rotations in both low vision and vision therapy (what our school calls "speciality peds") at UHCO in your third year, along with neuro, contact lens, family practice, and ocular disease.