Visiting a residency for the first time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DTRTiger16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year of podiatry school and I'm going to visit a residency that I'm really interested in next week. I will be going for two days and I'm not sure what to expect. Anyone have any tips or know if they will quiz me as if I were an extern? Also, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to wear my white coat or not...Any help would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I visited a couple of programs at the end of my first year, and I wasn't really asked any questions. Really the purpose of your visit at this point is to figure out what the program is about in a nutshell and what are its strengths and weaknesses. What kinds of cases are they bringing in? Are the attendings interested being good teachers or do they just want to stroke their egos? What kinds of responsibilities do the residents have in their first, second, and third years? Most importantly, does the program look radically different in reality than it does on its caspr-crip listing?

You might get asked a question about anatomy ("Name the 3 heads of the triceps surae?") but your average attending is so far removed from the basic sciences that they don't have all that much material to go on. So don't worry if you forgot the Krebs cycle or the spino-thalamic tract--so have most doctors. Actually, the attendings will probably not notice you, the 2nd/3rd year residents will want the 1st years to babysit you, and the 1st years will pawn you off on the externs. The externs might pimp you but who gives a darn if you look stupid in front of an extern, and I say that speaking as an extern myself.

What you need to keep in mind is that the 2nd and 3rd years might all be gone by the time you rotate there, unless they become attendings, and even so they probably won't remember you unless you are either brilliant beyond your years or if you have a tonic-clonic seizure in the middle of a procedure.

So enjoy yourself, they're expecting nothing a from first year student, and no one will object if you meet their expectations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you KIDDING?????? Forget the Kreb's cycle. How else do you think I impress the ladies at parties??

Tell them you are going to be a podiatrist....oh wait that doesn't work as well. They are either not impressed with your foot fetish or they have no idea what a podiatrist is!

Denying the existance of the word "podiatrist" (kind of like what's going on right now) and stating you are a "foot and ankle surgeon" will most likely increase your chances of closing some ass IMO.

This concludes this segment of life lessons with AB

What are other things aside from "foot and ankle surgeon" that could help in closing some ass?

I do know that women love shoes. You don't think the title of "Custom Shoe Designer" would get a woman all hot and bothered?

What's a Kreb cycle? I need to be as suave as AB!

I'm kidding bobdolerson :p

Last edited:
What's a Kreb cycle? I need to be as suave as AB!

It's the causative force behind first year med-student depression.

You'll get pages of it in biochem....don't worry about it now!

As for the ladies, the trick to getting them as a podiatrist is to be a professional basketball/football player instead.

Actually, when someone asks what I do for a living, I simply tell them I'm in the "repair" business. If that ends the conversation, I'm fine with that, if they ask "what do you repair", I simply answer "feet and ankles".