Visiting doctor during HPSP app process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Randomage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been getting some pain in my thumb, I think from work, and I've been debating wether or not to visit a doctor about it. I'm in the middle of my HPSP app and have already done my physical. My concern is that I don't want a red flag to pop up and have my recruiter get all concerned about something that might just be a simple sprain. If I go have a doctor check me out now, are the app reviewers going to see it in my medical records and give me the third degree about it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pull a fast one on the military so I can get in and have them fix me for free. If in fact this hand thing turned out to be something more significant, I would probably get it taken care of outside the military. I'm just worried that this could jeopardize my chances of getting a scholarship, which right now appears to be the only way I'll be able to get through dental school. At the MEPS it just seemed like all the screeners were so quick to find something wrong with you to disqualify you, hence my hesitation to see the doc, even though this issue might be nothing significant. If anyone could help me reason through this or offer any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been getting some pain in my thumb, I think from work, and I've been debating wether or not to visit a doctor about it. I'm in the middle of my HPSP app and have already done my physical. My concern is that I don't want a red flag to pop up and have my recruiter get all concerned about something that might just be a simple sprain. If I go have a doctor check me out now, are the app reviewers going to see it in my medical records and give me the third degree about it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pull a fast one on the military so I can get in and have them fix me for free. If in fact this hand thing turned out to be something more significant, I would probably get it taken care of outside the military. I'm just worried that this could jeopardize my chances of getting a scholarship, which right now appears to be the only way I'll be able to get through dental school. At the MEPS it just seemed like all the screeners were so quick to find something wrong with you to disqualify you, hence my hesitation to see the doc, even though this issue might be nothing significant. If anyone could help me reason through this or offer any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Any medical treatment you get after your MEPS physical will not be forwarded to the HPSP board since they will not have any knowledge of it. If the doctor discovers something significant - you should probably let your recruiter know. Once in HPSP, any medical issues that pop up during school are not covered by the military since you are not on active duty. So your answer of getting it taken care of outside the military is correct - you won't be eligible to get anything done on a military base.