Visiting MD Schools before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KGundy

Med School Hopeful!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone visited any med schools before applying? I'm making a (very!) tentative list of where I would like to apply, but I would really like to visit some of the schools first. When I'm on the school websites, there really isn't any information about visiting the schools as a pre-med student. I would just like to get a feel for the campus, check out the classrooms/labs/libraries and maybe sit in on a class or two..

Has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone visited any med schools before applying? I'm making a (very!) tentative list of where I would like to apply, but I would really like to visit some of the schools first. When I'm on the school websites, there really isn't any information about visiting the schools as a pre-med student. I would just like to get a feel for the campus, check out the classrooms/labs/libraries and maybe sit in on a class or two..

Has anyone done this?

I think it would be premature to do this before getting an interview...but if you want to shell out the money, I'm sure you could do something if you called the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always call the admissions office and see if they can accomodate you but its usually done on the interview.

Thats what I figured. :( There is only one Med school here (in Kansas)

It's a big investment to make before actually setting foot on campus, but you should A) choose good schools for your stats then B) Look for programs that fit your style PBL vs. Trad, primary care oriented, research oriented.

That should get it down to a managable list.

It would also be a waste though to visit a bunch of schools who aren't even going to interview you.

I don't know of a single medical school that will give you a tour and let you sit in on a class without offering you an interview first. If anyone has a story to contradict me, let me know.

A much cheaper way to get to know the schools is to read MSAR, SDN, and the schools' very own websites. Also, you could find some students of the schools you're interested in and email them specific questions about their experiences.

I don't know what you're going to get out of sitting in on a class. Most of the lectures are in large rooms with 100+ students. Just think of some of the undergraduate classes you've taken.

Loyola is cool. I was hanging out in Chicago for a week and dropped by there. They gave me a map of the campus, gave me some information about the school, and talked to me about their admissions policies. It was summer, so no classes were in session. I'm pretty sure that they would've let me peek in. Dude in the fitness center offered to give me a tour.

Actually I know two medical school in Florida that allow you to preview their campuses and I've seen them both FSU (Tallahassee) and USF (Tampa). I think there would be other schools out there that do the same thing...email the admissions office and see what they can provide for you on an individual level as well as on a preview day. :cool:

I'd definitely wait to until the interview. Once you narrow down what area of the country, what kind of school, and whether or not you would even be competetive applying, will narrow it down suprisingly well.

Thanks for the comments :oops:

The only reason I ask...before I applied to college and decided where I wanted to go, I visited several of the campuses just to "get a feel". It just seems weird not to do that with med school. I understand that if I get interviews, I'll have an ample chance to explore campus and learn about the school...but I don't want to waste the money on applying, secondaries, and interviews if I'm going to dislike the place.

When I actually get to med school, it's not just me moving to wherever. I'm married so have someone else to think about as well - what jobs are available for him, housing, activities that are in his interest, etc.

I know my state school is more than happy to allow pre-med students to wander the campus, just curious if other schools are receptive to this and it answering ? about their programs.

Thanks for the comments :oops:

The only reason I ask...before I applied to college and decided where I wanted to go, I visited several of the campuses just to "get a feel". It just seems weird not to do that with med school. I understand that if I get interviews, I'll have an ample chance to explore campus and learn about the school... but I don't want to waste the money on applying, secondaries, and interviews if I'm going to dislike the place.

When I actually get to med school, it's not just me moving to wherever. I'm married so have someone else to think about as well - what jobs are available for him, housing, activities that are in his interest, etc.

I know my state school is more than happy to allow pre-med students to wander the campus, just curious if other schools are receptive to this and it answering ? about their programs.

It seems to me that traveling to all these schools to check them out would cost more than just applying to them all and going to the interviews you get. The application part is usually alot cheeper than the interview part, so applying not knowing if you're going to hate the school or even get an interview isn't really going to lose you that much dough. I understand having someone else's concerns to worry about, but untill you actually get an interview I wouldn't worry about all the details that much. If you only end up with one acceptance then your choice is made for you, and if you have a few then you can start doing some more focused pertinent research at that point. I know people who brought their spouse with them to the interview and they explored the city while the interviews were going down to see if they liked it there, maybe thats a better idea.

Psipsina is right. It will cost less to apply to a school & see if you even get an interview than to prematurely run up travel & lodging costs on a place you might not even end up with an interview.

It's understandable that you must consider your entire situation (including your spouse) in making your decision. Start by sitting down together and eliminating the places that either (or both) of you absolutely would not consider a viable place to spend 4 years under any circumstances. From there, look at the stats (MCAT, GPA, and in-state vs. out-of-state admissions) for the remaining schools and estimate where you have a reasonable shot at admission. At this point, most people's lists will have been narrowed down significantly. Next, start doing your internet research. Look at the schools' websites and also ask questions here on SDN -- there are undoubtedly folks on here from every school you're considering who can give you some insider info on what it's like to go to school there and to live there. This narrowing-down process will greatly reduce the chance you end up somewhere you absolutely hate.

Apply based on this research & see who you get secondaries with. Only at that point would I even consider the time and expense of traveling to a particular school -- in most cases, you might as well wait & see if you get the interview invite. Keep in mind that you don't have to fall in love with the place you go to school - it's only 4 years & then you're very likely moving on.

Good luck to you!:luck: