Visiting NYC next wk...would like to visit a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm visiting friends in NYC over a long weekend next week and thought of taking a little time to check out one or two med schools in the area. Columbia comes to mind first, with the whole 'College of Physicians and Surgeons' name...dunno if that means much or not, but I do like pediatrics, orthopedics and surgery.
Any thoughts on other schools? NYU, Cornell, etc?

I should have completed my pre-reqs and taken the MCAT by this time next year, hopefully with interviews to follow and maybe gain acceptance for 2011. So, it's time I start visiting around a bit and getting to know where I can see myself fitting in best.

Thanks,
southpaw

Members don't see this ad.

don't waste your time, you won't see anything because you won't have access to any of the buildings. also none of those schools have an actual campus where you could pick out a student and ask him/her to show u around, the students sortof blend in with other people in the street.

besides what do you hope to gain by visiting?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to NYC since I hadn't been there in a while and just checked out the area around some of the schools, particularly Mt. Sinai, but the others are right in that you can't get in anywhere really. If you don't know the city well it is nice to get an idea of where you'll be, but in the end I'm sure it won't end up mattering.

It is not unheard of for future applicants/random people/families to tour Columbia. Just call the admissions office and request admission into the tour (M-F at 1PM). It won't help your application or hurt you to do this (though I don't think you are trying to do that). If you feel like it will help you choose where to apply, there's no harm in it, but IDK how valuable touring medical schools is (it just isn't commonly done).

NYC schools are on lock down, its not like other universities where you can just wander on (especially state uni.'s).

Go check out the neighborhoods. See the tree, maybe go up 30 rock, check out the Christmas window displays, maybe shop Broadway from the East Village to Soho, etc... if you're interested in downstate, check out Brooklyn.. and see some of the cool stuff in Brooklyn too (yes its safe, just be aware of your environment), grab a drink and see a show at Union Pool and we can heckle hipsters together...

NYC schools are on lock down, its not like other universities where you can just wander on (especially state uni.'s).

Go check out the neighborhoods. See the tree, maybe go up 30 rock, check out the Christmas window displays, maybe shop Broadway from the East Village to Soho, etc... if you're interested in downstate, check out Brooklyn.. and see some of the cool stuff in Brooklyn too (yes its safe, just be aware of your environment), grab a drink and see a show at Union Pool and we can heckle hipsters together...

Sounds like a deal, longshanks. :thumbup:

Since you are on vacation as a pure new yorker go visit NYU med you will also be in a nice area to shop and eat, albert einstein not picturesesque but you will be able to see the area working class... downstate at kingscounty is nice if you are interested in underserved, area is somewhat hood.

It is not unheard of for future applicants/random people/families to tour Columbia. Just call the admissions office and request admission into the tour (M-F at 1PM). It won't help your application or hurt you to do this (though I don't think you are trying to do that). If you feel like it will help you choose where to apply, there's no harm in it, but IDK how valuable touring medical schools is (it just isn't commonly done).

are you sure you're not mistakenly referring to the tour of the undergrad campus for undergrad applicants?