Visiting schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think there is any advantage to visiting schools and meeting with the Director of Admissions even if your stats are not that good? I visited my dream school last summer and sat with the Admissions Director for a chat about my previous year's app. My stats aren't horrible but not up to this school's standards. Is it possible that taking time to visit the school and meet with the Director would have any bearing on my app? I am trying to figure if I should "keep hope alive" or "not get my hopes up." Love to hear some thoughts on this!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think there is any advantage to visiting schools and meeting with the Director of Admissions even if your stats are not that good? I visited my dream school last summer and sat with the Admissions Director for a chat about my previous year's app. My stats aren't horrible but not up to this school's standards. Is it possible that taking time to visit the school and meet with the Director would have any bearing on my app? I am trying to figure if I should "keep hope alive" or "not get my hopes up." Love to hear some thoughts on this!

It's still up to a commitee to look over your stuff and rank you along with the others and you may not get to meet with the Director of Admissions. Depends how deep your pockets are. I don't think it would result in an advantage.

I do recommend post-mortem file reviews as most schools offer these after rejections. If re-applicants have taken advantage of these reviews and followed recommendations it looks good the following year.