Visiting Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kek7r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this summer I've just started to think about applying to optometry school. In a few weeks I'll be driving through Memphis and I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to stop by SCO to ask someone all these questions I have (most pertain to whether my engineering classes will count for pre-reqs-- something I don't think these boards can answer!). I'm interested in applying there, but I also think some of the answers will apply to all optometry schools and will be really helpful to me. I just don't see a lot of posts about prospective students visiting schools to ask questions (I guess thats because most are far away from optometry schools) so I'm wondering if this would be helpful or if I should just call the school to ask.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest calling and setting up an appointment, not just swinging by.

Tours at SCO are by appointment only, but easy to set up :D

http://www.sco.edu/about/Pages/visit.aspx

"Guided tours by SCO Student Ambassadors are provided to interested candidates during our regular business hours Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. by appointment only. To schedule an appointment with an admissions officer, please contact the Office of Student Services at (901) 722-3224 or (800) 238-0180."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Once I decided on Optometry in 2006, from where I live in VA I have visited Florida, New York (twice). Then on one 4 day trip we went to Ohio, then Indiana and Chicago.
Everyone was so nice and helpful and gave us so much advice and info. I did have appointments and they gave us tours and looked at my transcripts then asked me critical questions that I should be thinking about for my interview. And what I should be doing to strengthen my application.
If I had to go for an interview later, I would be familiar and more comfortable.

Definitely call SCO and set up a tour!! Your tour guide will answer all your questions. I work in financial aid on 10th floor so feel free to swing by and holler :D I toured SCO and two other schools before applying and it was extremely helpful. I'm glad I did, actually, because one of the other schools I was looking at really did not appeal to me whatsoever after I visited.