Visits back to the States during breaks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjds

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how often do those who are from the U.S. get a chance to go home and visit family? Who took their family to the island? How is cell phone reception and billing for calling back home? How much do flights usually range?
Did you bring or buy a car?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't start till August, but my understanding is that:

-students go home during Christmas and summer

-most students call home using some sort of broadband internet phone (such as Skype)

-flights will vary obviously depending upon your origin and St. George's has a code to get a 10% discount through American Airlines

-bring your car?? Are you mad?? Buy/rent one there: roads are bad apparently and there are cars for sale/rent there (rent approx $400/month I believe but I was told you shouldn't need one unless you either really want one or bring your fam)

Mazel tov!!

No matter what don't take your car.

If you are going to Ross, the roads are very bad but you can get a car over there if you really need one.

Auc is in St. Martin. this is a french/dutch tourist Island with great roads.

St. Georges is more modern than Ross, I believe the roads there are good.

Saba is a dutch island with good roads.

I don't know about the others.

Phone service is good on most islands.

I finished years ago. I would hope things have gotten better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which school did you graduate from?

I went to St. Maarten a few years ago, I had the most amazing time while there and met a beautiful Dutch tourist who was taking off my clothes with her eyes. Of the three schools, St. Maarten is the nicest island, you are also within walking distance of a topless beach.