Vitamin K dosing in child

Started by RxChick92
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RxChick92

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I got a phone message from a Dr for Vitamin K 10mg #3 1 QD for a child.
I have never seen this before (for a child). We didn't have the drug in stock (I went ahead and ordered it) and the Dr. was already gone for the day so I couldn't get any additional information on the patient. I tried looking up our on line resource and it only lists adult dose. Is this a common dose for a child?
 
Like, an infant?

I read somewhere about what to give if patients refuse the IM shot of Vit K in the hospital and it requires a few mg at different weeks.....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Think the child was under 5 (cant remember exact). Definitely didn't dispense anything until I can get more information tomorrow. But even with adults on Coumadin Ive only encountered adult patients taking one 10mg tablet. This is what made me go what is going on?!
 
Think the child was under 5 (cant remember exact). Definitely didn't dispense anything until I can get more information tomorrow. But even with adults on Coumadin Ive only encountered adult patients taking one 10mg tablet. This is what made me go what is going on?!

Sometimes they do multiple days of vitamin K for liver disease...not sure about a child dose.