Vivelle-dot for a 26 year old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugenie98

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is vivelle-dot used for in the US? Is it birth control?

Members don't see this ad.

No it's not birth control. It's used for estrogen replacement (usually menopause symptoms.) It's usually to use it in a 26 year old, but not unheard of. I would call the pharmacy and have them double check what the doctor wrote. Either the pharmacy or the doctor messed up (or your girlfriend isn't telling the story straight).

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is gonna get closed. We're not allowed to give advices on personal medical problems.

Welllllllll......

Technically we are not suppossed to give out medical advice. But I will say that most birth control pills are combination progestin/estrogen or straight progestin. If they are going to give someone a patch it is usually Ortho Evra....a combination of progestin/estrogen agonists.....but...uh...yeah, can't give you any advice or I'll get my hand slapped by the mods. Again.

No it's not birth control. It's used for estrogen replacement (usually menopause symptoms.) It's usually to use it in a 26 year old, but not unheard of. I would call the pharmacy and have them double check what the doctor wrote. Either the pharmacy or the doctor messed up (or your girlfriend isn't telling the story straight).

I had her specifically go in for the birth control patch, so unless she somehow completely miscommunicated that fact to the physician, and since I am looking at the box on her desk as we speak, yeah either the pharmacist or doc made an error.

I had her specifically go in for the birth control patch, so unless she somehow completely miscommunicated that fact to the physician, and since I am looking at the box on her desk as we speak, yeah either the pharmacist or doc made an error.
Do you know what "off-label" use means?
Just because someone hands in a script for Inderal doesn't mean the medication will necessarily being used for hypertension --> it could be used for another heart condition, stage fright, or something else entirely.

I've seen it used for fertility treatments.

but that wouldn't be "birth control patch", rather the opposite.

Knipps... Vivelle dot ERT patch actually claims a LOWER (but still existent) risk of DVT/VTE than ortho evra birth control patches. Several studies have shown this. But this is apples and oranges.
----=-

Eugenie....... These types of things are very complex and depend on a patient history that the doctor takes and any other conditions a patient may have. Factors like smoking, lifestyle, etc. This is stuff we just don't know- nor do we discuss these issues on this forum. You shouldn't be on the forum to get such information. You should be in contact with your daughter and those professionals who are a part of that loop, if you want accurate information. Start by calling your pharmacist, if you wish. Or if you doubt the veracity, then see another doctor or speak to another pharmacist and get another opinion. The internet is full of opinions, many of them, wrong (not to insult anyone on here, of course).

This website is not a medical information website. It's for students and new professionals to discuss their profession, admissions topics, and even NCAA football... In that respect, I am closing this thread. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.