Vmrcm c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:(:(
I am super bummed about not receiving an invite today... I thought my IS school would actually take a look at me :(

Congratulations to those who received one!

Yeah I am kind of in disbelief...I knew that NC State was a long shot simply because there are so many applicants for OOS but I was almost SURE I would get an invite for an interview at my IS. No matter how much I actually knew that it was competitive I am just not wrapping my head around that I might have to apply again next year...I will literally not sleep tonight... :(:(

Members don't see this ad.

keeping my fingers crossed that there is another round coming out tomorrow for everyone who didn't hear today!!

keeping my fingers crossed that there is another round coming out tomorrow for everyone who didn't hear today!!
Thanks. i was hoping for sure that if they sent me that email about instate status that it meant some good news today, but havent gotten anything. im not holding my breath... i just feel so frustrated. this is my third time. ive improved everything they said and again another fruitless year! :(

Congrats to everyone who got interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to let you all know that my status page has changed to "decision made."

Just wanted to let you all know that my status page has changed to "decision made."
I take that as a good sign that should give some of us hope? Then again, rejections weren't sent out last year until February according to SDN. Mine still says "Under Review." I'm going to remain positive and hope for the best tomorrow. ;)

So my status page doesn't even say "under review". Anybody else in the same boat?

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO GOT AN INTERVIEW TODAY!!! :)

I got my interview letter today! Super excited, and I found this thread to chat with other VMRCVM applicants :D

So, I called VT today and talked to Joyce. She said yesterday was it for interview invites and that an alternate list is being decided upon right now. I asked weather the IS alternate list moves much and she said it varies from year to year. :lame:

Im sorry for everyone else who is in my position. I wish she told me something else.

Once again, Congrats for the people who received interviews yesterday!!

So, I called VT today and talked to Joyce. She said yesterday was it for interview invites and that an alternate list is being decided upon right now. I asked weather the IS alternate list moves much and she said it varies from year to year. :lame:

Im sorry for everyone else who is in my position. I wish she told me something else.

Once again, Congrats for the people who received interviews yesterday!!

I am literally in shock...how did I not even get an IS INTERVIEW??? :(:(

So OOS interview invites have been sent as well. Just clearing things up.

Just wanted to wish everyone who received an interview invite this year the best of luck. For everyone who did not receive an invite, trust me I know how devastating it is. I have been in your shoes before, this is my 7th time applying to Va Tech. Yes I said 7th. So I guess I am also an atypical applicant at 28. Since my first application I have married, just bought a house and have established a new career in a field not related to vet medicine. I interviewed for the first time in 2010, applied the next fall, and did not receive an invite last year. I almost called it quits but decided for one more try. Hoping this is finally my year also. If you have any questions please ask. Excited to meet every one who is interivewing on Mar 2!! Good luck!!!!!!

For those of you who did get an interview invite, does it have a certain time that you must confirm by? I cannot imagine many people will be turning down invites, especially this early but I just thought I would ask...I was told by Joyce that I was on the 'alternate interview list" but looking at last years threads it seems that EVERYONE (at least on SDN) was so I am pretty much assuming its a no go :( Just thought I would ask though...

For those of you who did get an interview invite, does it have a certain time that you must confirm by? I cannot imagine many people will be turning down invites, especially this early but I just thought I would ask...I was told by Joyce that I was on the 'alternate interview list" but looking at last years threads it seems that EVERYONE (at least on SDN) was so I am pretty much assuming its a no go :( Just thought I would ask though...

Friday, 1/22/12 @ 5pm ET.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to wish everyone who received an interview invite this year the best of luck. For everyone who did not receive an invite, trust me I know how devastating it is. I have been in your shoes before, this is my 7th time applying to Va Tech. Yes I said 7th. So I guess I am also an atypical applicant at 28. Since my first application I have married, just bought a house and have established a new career in a field not related to vet medicine. I interviewed for the first time in 2010, applied the next fall, and did not receive an invite last year. I almost called it quits but decided for one more try. Hoping this is finally my year also. If you have any questions please ask. Excited to meet every one who is interivewing on Mar 2!! Good luck!!!!!!

VTgal...did you apply this year and get an interview? Just curious because I'm 26 and married and I like knowing there are people in a similar situation as mine :)

Has your status changed? I didn't get an invite yesterday, but my status still says "under review". I'm hoping I might still make the alt. list. although I doubt it will happen.

OK, I'm silly. I just re-read your post, VTgal, and I see that you are interviewing (duh). Anyway, when you interviewed in 2010, was it the MMI format? I interviewed in 2009 using the hot/cold method, so I'm unfamiliar with the format change.

Has your status changed? I didn't get an invite yesterday, but my status still says "under review". I'm hoping I might still make the alt. list. although I doubt it will happen.

Mine still says under review...and I do not know how promising an "alternate interview list" is...I mean...most people will interview (I imagine)...and the waitlist will be produced off of that. Ugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh...

Congratulations on your invite! You definitely deserve it. Best of luck to you. :luck:

Mine still says "under review" and I did not receive an invite yesterday.

...did anyone notice how "Friday 1/22" isn't a real date?
This Friday is 1/20 :)

So, since people who got interview invites have to notify by Friday, does that mean that an alternative list will come out next week, or is that going to happen later this week?

.I'm OOS and got an interview invite, on the "View Application Summary" page where it says application status, mine reads: Decision Made. Also, I got the bogus reply deadline of Friday, 1/22..

Live for 32:
Yes, I had the MMI. Actually, that was the first year they implemented the new interviewing system. I was def nervous but everyone was super friendly!!

To defray (increase?) some nerves, I want to say that I got an OOS invite today for the 3rd. My e-mail was sent at 4:22pm.

So, since people who got interview invites have to notify by Friday, does that mean that an alternative list will come out next week, or is that going to happen later this week?

Not for sure if this helps or not but last year I was told I was on an alternate interview list. I never received a message stating I was on an alternate list though. They may have everyone ranked who didnt receive an interview and as people turned down invites they worked that list. So it is still possible you could get an invite!

Not for sure if this helps or not but last year I was told I was on an alternate interview list. I never received a message stating I was on an alternate list though. They may have everyone ranked who didnt receive an interview and as people turned down invites they worked that list. So it is still possible you could get an invite!

Did they eventually email you and tell you that you didn't make it?

Did they eventually email you and tell you that you didn't make it?
Yes. i was an instate alternate last year. i never got off the waitlist. they sent a letter a few days after the interviews had been done that said you were no longer being considered. I am glad they updated me i because i never would have figured it out....lol

hey guys,
does anyone know how many applicants VMRCVM interviews from maryland? from the VMSAR, i understand that ~100ish applicants apply from maryland, and 30 are accepted, which is decent odds-wise, but how many people are actually interviewed?

i can't wait to see blacksburg, i hear it's gorgeous! :)

When I interviewed in 2009, 60 md apps were interviewed, the top 50% accepted, the next 25% waitlisted and the bottom 25% rejected. With the new changes, I don't know if this is still current. By the way, Blacksburg is amazing and I hope I get to spend 4 more years there :)

i can't wait to see blacksburg, i hear it's gorgeous! :)

By the way, Blacksburg is amazing and I hope I get to spend 4 more years there :)

<3 Blacksburg except when it's 8 degrees and near 0 degrees with wind chill... then it just resembles the arctic tundra. But, this winter hasn't been too bad at all! It's actually 45 degrees outside right now which is pretty nice for January in Bburg. But fall, spring and summer are beautiful.

I'm from Maryland too, I heard pretty much the same thing as livefor32. I think last year they had a tad more applicants, 120 I think she said. But they still interviewed 60, and gave spots to 30. We'll keep our fingers crossed!:xf:

This might be a stupid question but I had no idea we could check the status of our application online. I've just been waiting for email notifications. I got an OOS interview! But where is everyone seeing these "decision made" statuses? Could someone post a link? Also, does "decision made" mean you've already been accepted or does that mean they have made the decision to invite you to an interview? Cause I thought interviews weren't until March... unless there was a select few who were so qualified they got an early decision?

This might be a stupid question but I had no idea we could check the status of our application online. I've just been waiting for email notifications. I got an OOS interview! But where is everyone seeing these "decision made" statuses? Could someone post a link? Also, does "decision made" mean you've already been accepted or does that mean they have made the decision to invite you to an interview? Cause I thought interviews weren't until March... unless there was a select few who were so qualified they got an early decision?

Hmmm...maybe you were on an interview waitlist? I received an email last week (the 17th, I think) notifying me that I received an interview invite (OOS).

https://banweb.banner.vt.edu/ssb/prod/gzbkwbis.P_WWWLogin

After you log on, you should be able to click on your application information, and if you received an interview, my guess is that it'll say decision made. Decision made just means that they've finished reviewing your file and a decision has been made regarding your interview status. Since it sounds like you got an interview, in the email Joyce sent you there was a link to confirm that you would be attending the interview, then she should have sent you some follow-up information. I don't think the status page is helpful except to see that you have everything submitted.

<3 Blacksburg except when it's 8 degrees and near 0 degrees with wind chill... then it just resembles the arctic tundra. But, this winter hasn't been too bad at all! It's actually 45 degrees outside right now which is pretty nice for January in Bburg. But fall, spring and summer are beautiful.

This made me laugh, I'm from South Dakota and a day that is 8 degrees with only 0 degree wind chill sounds nice! It's been between -5 and -25 windchill this past week, and will probably stay that way until March!! So I'm looking forward to some "warmer" weather for my interview!!

VRCVM sends an e-mail invite for interviews with a link provided to confirm your interest in attending the interview. The status page is essentially useless at this phase. At least from my experience as a OOS students selected for an interview.

This is year 2 for me interviewing at VA tech, I got all the way to the wait list last year and didn't make it in....Cross my fingers for this year....I have more vet experience this time around. The interview process was insane.:eek:

This is year 2 for me interviewing at VA tech, I got all the way to the wait list last year and didn't make it in....Cross my fingers for this year....I have more vet experience this time around. The interview process was insane.:eek:
What do you mean by insane? Are you talking about interviewing in general or the MMI format? Do you have any advice for how to prepare for the MMI format since I'm guessing you had to do last year? I have no idea how to approach it.

Good luck this year:xf:

The VT pre-vet club had a meeting last night with the admissions director to discuss the MMI format and any other details we may be interested in about the application process. Dr. Pelzner said that this year they had over 1000 applicants, almost 700 of which were out of state (if you got an OOS interview, rock on!) She said they gave out 288 interviews. And I apologize for forgetting the stats for OOS and VA but I know she said they have 68 people interviewing for the 30 MD spots. At least our chances got a lot better!

She also confirmed that we all start with 0 points in the interview. We are already considered academically qualified at this point so now our acceptance will purely be based on whether we interview successfully. She also said the key to being successful in the interview is to be honest and to be yourself!

The average GPA of the student who applied this year was between a 3.6 and a 3.7. I'm feeling pretty lucky to be interviewing with my 3.5 at the moment.

Congrats to everyone interviewing and I hope this was at least a little informative! :thumbup:

I interviewed in 2010 with that format and I agree with Kmeid's advice. Maybe I'm just not that worried about interviews, but I didn't prepare at all for any of mine because I didn't want to sound fake and I did fine on all 3 I went to. If you're used to talking to people about various topics and have well-formed opinions about the world around you, you're going to do just fine.

So as an OOS no news from themmeans no interview?

I'm assuming it means that we are on an alternate list (which is why we have not received a flat out rejection yet). I actually emailed them today to ask if that is the case or if we should be receiving a rejection or interview invite sometime soon. I will post on here if I get an answer

The VT pre-vet club had a meeting last night with the admissions director to discuss the MMI format and any other details we may be interested in about the application process. Dr. Pelzner said that this year they had over 1000 applicants, almost 700 of which were out of state (if you got an OOS interview, rock on!) She said they gave out 288 interviews. And I apologize for forgetting the stats for OOS and VA but I know she said they have 68 people interviewing for the 30 MD spots. At least our chances got a lot better!

She also confirmed that we all start with 0 points in the interview. We are already considered academically qualified at this point so now our acceptance will purely be based on whether we interview successfully.

If anyone else was at the meeting, I'd be interested to know the stats for VA applicants.

Also, at this point its only based on our interviewing skills? I would have thought experience at least would come into play...

Also, at this point its only based on our interviewing skills? I would have thought experience at least would come into play...

I feel like our experiences will influence the way we answer the MMI prompts...
I think the kinds of questions they'll ask will require that you tap into your experiences in order to effectively comment on the scenarios, and that using your experiences as examples will help you demonstrate and argue your position...

So as an OOS no news from themmeans no interview?

I emailed Joyce and she said that if we have not been notified yet, then we are on the alternate list for interviews and we will be called if people decline interviews.

I emailed Joyce and she said that if we have not been notified yet, then we are on the alternate list for interviews and we will be called if people decline interviews.

Is this just for OOS or for VA residents as well? Thanks! Good luck to everyone interviewing. :luck:

I feel like our experiences will influence the way we answer the MMI prompts...
I think the kinds of questions they'll ask will require that you tap into your experiences in order to effectively comment on the scenarios, and that using your experiences as examples will help you demonstrate and argue your position...
Really? because I heard these scenarios really didn't relate to vet-med, except for maybe the "standard interview" MMI

I guess I'm just nervous because it seems really hard to prepare for this at all.

Is this just for OOS or for VA residents as well? Thanks! Good luck to everyone interviewing. :luck:
Here is the email that I received:

Thank you for your email.

Interview invitations have been sent out. Likewise, we have sent out some rejections letters as well.

We maintain a list of ranked applicants within each category (VA, MD, WV, and at large). If someone declines an interview invitation or withdraws, we contact the next person on that ranked list. Interviews will be held on March 2 and 3.
Final decision letters will go out around mid-March.

With very best regards,
Joyce

I'm assuming this means it is for both OOS and IS

Also, Joyce said that she is not allowed to give us our ranking on the alternate list or even an idea of our chances of being offered an email :/