Vmrcm c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I saw that there were a lot of people concerned since they had not yet heard anything back from VMRCVM. I emailed last week, because my status also still said "Under Review" and this is the response I received from Joyce:

"You are on our alternate list for interviews. If someone withdraws from an interview, we contact the next person on the alternate list. (Thus, the reason you are still listed as “under review”.) We will continue to make interview offers until about the end of February. I initially contact the applicant via email but follow up with a phone call if I don't get a timely response. Interviews are March 2 and 3. Final decision letters will be sent by mid-March."

I'm still not sure if there are separate lists for OOS or IS (I am OOS). But I hope this helps clarify for some of you! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an OOS student and I have an interview with VMRCVM but haven't booked my travel plans yet. I've already been accepted to St. George's University in the Caribbean and I'm starting to lean towards accepting to go to SGU and leaving my interview spot for someone on the alternative interview list and saving money on the travel. However, I'm not sure if this is the best idea. Could you guys post some reasons why you really want to go to Virginia? Or why you would pick it over a school in the Carribean?
The estimated CoA of SGU is only $253,000 while VMRCVM is $267,000... so what makes VMRCVM worth the extra $14,000?

Zpearl,

I can't say too much about the academic side of things because I really don't know to much about SGU academically, but there are certain aspects of the two schools that could push you either way depending on your lifestyle. In my case, I grew up in the North and love seasons and outdoor activities like skiing and hiking, and don't think I could do 3 years in the tropics. I'll also be long distance from my fiancé regardless of what school I go to, so I'd rather stay in the states and be able to visit a little more frequently.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should consider life outside school as well. Maybe the convenience of staying in the states is worth the extra money. Or maybe its a dream come true for you to get to live on a beautiful island AND pay less for it. I lived in South Africa last summer while working with a wildlife vet and can say from personal experience that if you want to go experience a new place, there are million different little things that will make it worth it.

Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an OOS student and I have an interview with VMRCVM but haven't booked my travel plans yet. I've already been accepted to St. George's University in the Caribbean and I'm starting to lean towards accepting to go to SGU and leaving my interview spot for someone on the alternative interview list and saving money on the travel. However, I'm not sure if this is the best idea. Could you guys post some reasons why you really want to go to Virginia? Or why you would pick it over a school in the Carribean?
The estimated CoA of SGU is only $253,000 while VMRCVM is $267,000... so what makes VMRCVM worth the extra $14,000?

I think that you should trust your heart...and certainly if money is about the same, go for whatever you want. I applied to VMRCVM because I now live in Baltimore City and wanted to be semi-close to my family in NC but honestly was totally NOT thrilled about living in Blacksburg. I ADORE the lifestyle of city life, and despite the much lower cost of living in Blackburg I could not get over the location. I also prefer to live somewhere that is more diverse (race, religion, etc.) and Blackburg seems to lack this as well. People say that "oh it does not matter where you attend because all you will do is study anyway" but that is not true for everyone. Just the culture, and "feel" of a place can make a big diffrence on the quality of life you have, especially if going home frequently is not an option because of distance/finances. As I said, living expenses are less at blacksburg, so that is a plus. Academically I cannot compare either...everyone knows the strigma that Caribbean schools can sometimes have but honestly a vet is a vet, and your education is what you make of it regardless of where you go. Go where you think you can learn the best, and you learn the best when HAPPY :)) Good luck!

First off, I completely agree with what everyone has said so far. But, I did want to add (this is an assumption depending on where you live) that you will have to travel a significant amount to get to SGU. Over 4 years, with airfare and other travel expenses to/from school and expenses on the island being slightly higher, I think the price of the two schools would be almost exactly comparable. So I would definitely follow your heart on this one. I have a friend at SGU now and she really likes it, and I live in Blacksburg right now and love it and I know several vet students here who are also really happy. Remember you're picking your home for the next 4 years! In the end you will have a AVMA accredited DVM from either school. Goodluck making your decision! :luck:

I think that you should trust your heart...and certainly if money is about the same, go for whatever you want. I applied to VMRCVM because I now live in Baltimore City and wanted to be semi-close to my family in NC but honestly was totally NOT thrilled about living in Blacksburg. I ADORE the lifestyle of city life, and despite the much lower cost of living in Blackburg I could not get over the location. I also prefer to live somewhere that is more diverse (race, religion, etc.) and Blackburg seems to lack this as well. People say that "oh it does not matter where you attend because all you will do is study anyway" but that is not true for everyone. Just the culture, and "feel" of a place can make a big diffrence on the quality of life you have, especially if going home frequently is not an option because of distance/finances. As I said, living expenses are less at blacksburg, so that is a plus. Academically I cannot compare either...everyone knows the strigma that Caribbean schools can sometimes have but honestly a vet is a vet, and your education is what you make of it regardless of where you go. Go where you think you can learn the best, and you learn the best when HAPPY :)) Good luck!

Hi JoAnna! I'm from Maryland too, I live about half way in-between Annapolis and Baltimore and love both. I've attended Virginia Tech for the last 3 years and could not have been happier with my decision. Trust me, I love the city too. Yes, Blacksburg is kinda in the middle of nowhere. But, it's a pretty nice little bubble of life in the middle of the mountains. I love the bar scene, there is a mall, we have every large store you could ever need and the area it is surprisingly diverse. There is a large number of international students, every racial background you can think of and religions galore. I've found it to be an extremely open and accepting environment and I can't imagine going to school anywhere else. If you're concerned about narrow minded views I wouldn't worry about it at this university. Plus, since they're adding more out of state spots this year we will have 40 'at large' candidates which will even diversify the class further. Just a side note that I figured I'd share. Goodluck on your interview! :)

First off, I completely agree with what everyone has said so far. But, I did want to add (this is an assumption depending on where you live) that you will have to travel a significant amount to get to SGU. Over 4 years, with airfare and other travel expenses to/from school and expenses on the island being slightly higher, I think the price of the two schools would be almost exactly comparable. So I would definitely follow your heart on this one. I have a friend at SGU now and she really likes it, and I live in Blacksburg right now and love it and I know several vet students here who are also really happy. Remember you're picking your home for the next 4 years! In the end you will have a AVMA accredited DVM from either school. Goodluck making your decision! :luck:

Hi JoAnna! I'm from Maryland too, I live about half way in-between Annapolis and Baltimore and love both. I've attended Virginia Tech for the last 3 years and could not have been happier with my decision. Trust me, I love the city too. Yes, Blacksburg is kinda in the middle of nowhere. But, it's a pretty nice little bubble of life in the middle of the mountains. I love the bar scene, there is a mall, we have every large store you could ever need and the area it is surprisingly diverse. There is a large number of international students, every racial background you can think of and religions galore. I've found it to be an extremely open and accepting environment and I can't imagine going to school anywhere else. If you're concerned about narrow minded views I wouldn't worry about it at this university. Plus, since they're adding more out of state spots this year we will have 40 'at large' candidates which will even diversify the class further. Just a side note that I figured I'd share. Goodluck on your interview! :)

Thanks for your help guys. However, the I'm pretty sure the costs of living are included in the COA for each school, so Virginia is still more expensive. Flight to home (Miami) are a bit more expensive from SGU but I'm not sure I'll have time besides maybe Xmas and Summer to go home so I don't think my travel expenses would even it up either. Plus, my 4th year clinicals would be from any US vet school of my choice. I may still take my interview at VMRCVM anyway. You all have made it sound really nice. We'll see in a week, won't we? Haha

It's probably going to be easier to find a job after graduation if you go to a US school.

Hi JoAnna! I'm from Maryland too, I live about half way in-between Annapolis and Baltimore and love both. I've attended Virginia Tech for the last 3 years and could not have been happier with my decision. Trust me, I love the city too. Yes, Blacksburg is kinda in the middle of nowhere. But, it's a pretty nice little bubble of life in the middle of the mountains. I love the bar scene, there is a mall, we have every large store you could ever need and the area it is surprisingly diverse. There is a large number of international students, every racial background you can think of and religions galore. I've found it to be an extremely open and accepting environment and I can't imagine going to school anywhere else. If you're concerned about narrow minded views I wouldn't worry about it at this university. Plus, since they're adding more out of state spots this year we will have 40 'at large' candidates which will even diversify the class further. Just a side note that I figured I'd share. Goodluck on your interview! :)[/QUOTE]

Hey! I live near Hopkins in Bmore City...I think I know where Annapolis is! That is good news that you consider it diverse...I was really concerned for my son (who is 5) and bi-racial about the schools not being diverse...I looked online and it said that the two schools in Blacksburg and Christianburg were about 90% caucasian. It may not be important to some people, but it is to me...the school he goes to in Bmore is private and full of people from different races and religions...I love it...but I know that nowhere is going to be "perfect"...we are also Buddhist, something else I was concerned about...I can deal with a lack of diversity just fine, but I am for some reason nervous about, like you said, narrowmindedness : / -- I grew up in a city in NC and then moved here, so I have never dealth with this before but it would be stepping out of my comfort zone. We shall see though!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (just discovered it...can't believe I never knew about it!) and I just wanted to encourage those of you who are still waiting on any sort of notification to call Joyce in Admissions. I go to school in TN and have a friend who is from MD in my class and she was notified of her interview in January since she is IS. I kept waiting and wondering what the deal was until finally last week I called Joyce and asked her why I hadn't received any email or letter giving a yay or a nay. After reading the previous posts on this thread, I realize that a lot of you were in the same boat as me.

I called Joyce last week and she told me I was an alternate for interviews....so I wrote it off and decided there was no way it would work out since interviews are this coming weekend. A few hours later, she called me back and said someone withdrew their interview and offered me the spot!! So don't despair...there is always a chance!

As a current VMRCVM student I just wanted to wish everyone luck on their interviews that are fast approaching! Take this week to relax and have confidence that you will do great. I know how scary it can be but if you go in with a positive attitude, you will do your best. Everyone there is in the same shoes as you so take the time to talk to everyone that you can...it will calm your nerves for sure. And hey, you never know who you will remember once school starts in the Fall!

I'm not sure how involved current students get with the interview days, but if I have any free moments I will certainly pop into the Commons (if that's where y'all are meeting this year) to chat with everyone and give you words of encouragement and advice. I know seeing current students gave me the confidence boost I needed to know that all of this is possible and wonderful!

Best of luck to everyone.

I declined my interview invite for VMRCVM. Hope one of you waitlisters gets my spot and everything works out well for you!

This is kind of a random question but I'm asking it anyways. My interview is Saturday, so I got a hotel for Friday night and will be arriving in Blacksburg dinner timeish. So I was wondering if any current students or people familiar with the town could recommend a good bar/restaurant to get a few drinks and some food once I get there Friday. Thanks:D

This is kind of a random question but I'm asking it anyways. My interview is Saturday, so I got a hotel for Friday night and will be arriving in Blacksburg dinner timeish. So I was wondering if any current students or people familiar with the town could recommend a good bar/restaurant to get a few drinks and some food once I get there Friday. Thanks:D

macados is a personal favorite of mine :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Last Friday I declined my interview (OOS). Joyce said that they would try to get someone else to fill that interview slot. Hopefully if someone here is waiting for an OOS interview they'll get it soon.

Best of luck to everyone.

Gillie's might be really busy at that time, but I really like the place. It's downtown and has good vegetarian and seafood options.

Got the call this morning, pulled off the wait list!! Good luck to those of you still on it!

Anyone on here an MD applicant that has declined their interview? I'm on the waitlist and still waiting...but with the interviews days away it doesn't look good for me

I declined my interview today so perhaps a spot will open up for you. It was for this Saturday. Good luck!

Hey, I have an interview on Friday and am going on the Smart Way Bus from the Roanoke airport to Blacksburg around 8am if anyone wants a travel buddy!
Good luck to everyone at the interview!

has anyone taken the megabus to christiansburg? if so, do you know how far/how long it takes to get to campus from the christiansburg stop and what kind of transportation is available to get there?

has anyone taken the megabus to christiansburg? if so, do you know how far/how long it takes to get to campus from the christiansburg stop and what kind of transportation is available to get there?

The Smartway bus travels between Christiansburg's Megabus stop at Falling Branch Park & Ride and Squires Student Center on VT's main campus. Here's a link to the schedule: http://www.smartwaybus.com/schedule.htm
Looks to take about 20 minutes.

Macados is a lot of fun. Quirky and unique. We also have a Buffalo Wild Wings if you prefer more main stream, and most of the bars downtown have surprisingly good food. PK's has great pizza and I love Rivermill's burgers. The Cellar is also one of my favorite resturants/bars in Blacksburg. Great food and very relaxed atmosphere. It's right on main street next to sharkey's

Goodluck and have a safe trip here!

On a Friday night you might be better off going to dinner in Christiansburg, if you're able to travel there. Blacksburg restaurants get crowded - waitlist can be upwards of an hour just to get a seat. ;) (Especially considering it's the Friday night before Spring Break, so there are gonna be a lot of students happy to blow off some steam...)

There's a Macados in Christiansburg too that's almost never busy. I love Backstreets, India Garden, The Cellar... It's really hard to go wrong in Blacksburg, really. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm probably leaning more towards a bar than a strictly restaurant option. I will probably need a few drinks to deal with the nervousness/antsyness I will be experiencing that night. Next week is my spring break also and most people here just leave Friday and head home instead of hanging out that night, but I don't mind mingling with some VT students if it is crowded.

Good luck to everyone interviewing Friday and I'll see some of you guys Saturday I guess.:thumbup:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm probably leaning more towards a bar than a strictly restaurant option. I will probably need a few drinks to deal with the nervousness/antsyness I will be experiencing that night. Next week is my spring break also and most people here just leave Friday and head home instead of hanging out that night, but I don't mind mingling with some VT students if it is crowded.

Good luck to everyone interviewing Friday and I'll see some of you guys Saturday I guess.:thumbup:

Well than might see you around! Haha. I interview Friday so I'm thinking a night downtown will do me some good...

Anyone in group 3 on Friday at noon?? I would love to "know" someone in my group!

Well than might see you around! Haha. I interview Friday so I'm thinking a night downtown will do me some good...

The more the merrier!:hardy:

And for anyone in group 8, I'm a pretty tall guy and will be wearing black suit, blue shirt, and silver tie if you want to say hey.

Anyone in group 3 on Friday at noon?? I would love to "know" someone in my group!

Betsy - I actually am in that group, hahaha. My name is Vanessa, I'll doubtless by the shaky blonde girl who's trying to grin through it all anyway. ;)

Are you a Tech student/VA resident or are you coming from somewhere else?

Looking forward to meeting you. =)

Betsy - I actually am in that group, hahaha. My name is Vanessa, I'll doubtless by the shaky blonde girl who's trying to grin through it all anyway. ;)

Are you a Tech student/VA resident or are you coming from somewhere else?

Looking forward to meeting you. =)

Hey guys! Im also in group 3 tomorrow!! My name is Katie:) Im also blond haha (and tall and wearing a black pant suit) hopefully we can meet!

The more the merrier!:hardy:

And for anyone in group 8, I'm a pretty tall guy and will be wearing black suit, blue shirt, and silver tie if you want to say hey.

Oh hey guys! I'll definitely be downtown Friday night after my interview and I'm a VT student if you all wanna hang out and see the good places to go! I'm planning on heading downtown with two other post vet-interview VT kids. My name is Kari and I'm in Group 2. PM me if you want to meet up!

Vanessa and Katie: I'm the tall blonde, shortish blonde hair in a blue dress and tan blazer! Let's find each other! See you In three hours, Eeeeek!

Good luck, interviewees! Or if you've interviewed already - Congrats! Take a load off. ;)

Betsy & Katie - I'll keep an eye out for ya!

Good luck, interviewees! Or if you've interviewed already - Congrats! Take a load off. ;)

Betsy & Katie - I'll keep an eye out for ya!

I just interviewed, thanks for the congrats! Now to find somewhere to get a drink!

Anyone want to meet up for dinner? I have a rental car.

Some of my friends are waiting for me at ToTS (Top of the Stairs). I think that's where I'm gonna start. Not much in the way of food, buuuut that's not really what I'm going for. ;)

At the Rivermill right now if anyone cares to join. Its kind of weird inviting people places on this thread because you don't know when they will look at it, but I thought id give it a try. PM me if you want to come, I have the sdn app so I can check frequently while im here.

PS pretty chill bar by the way

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SDN Mobile

Just out of curiosity...was anyone else trying to get a connector flight in from Charlotte? They sent my flight and 3 others back from Roanoke because they couldn't physically land the plane, so I drove 4 hours with some random guy to Tech and got in about 2 hours ago. Blacksburg natives, is this a normal thing? How bad is the weather that they can't land planes? :-/ OH WELL, see GROUP 6 in 30 minutes!!! Good luck on your interviews, everyone!

Just out of curiosity...was anyone else trying to get a connector flight in from Charlotte? They sent my flight and 3 others back from Roanoke because they couldn't physically land the plane, so I drove 4 hours with some random guy to Tech and got in about 2 hours ago. Blacksburg natives, is this a normal thing? How bad is the weather that they can't land planes? :-/ OH WELL, see GROUP 6 in 30 minutes!!! Good luck on your interviews, everyone!

On my flight in yesterday, the captain or flight attendant mentioned that we were the last plane allowed in and they were canceling the rest of the flights due to poor visibility. It was really foggy when we landed. The guy sitting next to me was a Roanoke native, and he said that yes, it does happen occasionally. At least you made it!

Hopefully the weather will clear so we'll be able to get home :)

Oh and GOOD LUCK TODAY EVERYONE!

Did anyone else find the interviews *gasp* fun? Yes, it was terrifying and VERY fast...but I sort of enjoyed it. I didn't think I would like the MMI format, but it wasn't that bad.

Did anyone else find the interviews *gasp* fun? Yes, it was terrifying and VERY fast...but I sort of enjoyed it. I didn't think I would like the MMI format, but it wasn't that bad.

No I felt the same way! I actually had so much fun and I was so scared about it before!

Yeah I just got done and it wasnt too bad. One lady just stared at me which made for some awkward silence. Overall pretty good feeling. Also the main lady said that they will tell us our rank if we are put on the waitlist this year.

I've been out of school for nearly three months and I found the interview to be as close to an exam adrenaline rush as anything I've had since finals.

I really need to do something other than work...

Did anyone else think that VMRCVM did a poor job showing off their school and program? The tour I got was led by a girl who wasn't very smiley, not really outgoing, and didn't seem excited about the school, and there was hardly a peep out of anybody about why we should go to their school. I just felt like they weren't advertising their school to me. Interviews are not just a chance for students to be tested by the school, but are (more importantly) a chance for the prospective students to decide if they want to go there. Every other school I have visited gave a more comprehensive tour, had informational sessions or outgoing students to speak with, and really got you excited about going there. I was very disappointed. However, the bus driver was awesome!

Did anyone else think that VMRCVM did a poor job showing off their school and program? The tour I got was led by a girl who wasn't very smiley, not really outgoing, and didn't seem excited about the school, and there was hardly a peep out of anybody about why we should go to their school. I just felt like they weren't advertising their school to me. Interviews are not just a chance for students to be tested by the school, but are (more importantly) a chance for the prospective students to decide if they want to go there. Every other school I have visited gave a more comprehensive tour, had informational sessions or outgoing students to speak with, and really got you excited about going there. I was very disappointed. However, the bus driver was awesome!

The bus driver was hilarious. I had a second year guy give the tour and I thought he did a good job. He gave us a tour of the hospital, classrooms and stuff and was very helpful. Sounds like you just got stuck with a bad guide.:thumbdown:

i had a third year girl give the tour - and i was in the last group on friday so at that point lots of lights were off and it was a ghost town in the hospital/everywhere, so it was probably a harder tour to give because there was less to see, but the tour guide was funny and animated and definitely sold the school really well... it was by far the best of my 4 interview tours (others being tufts, western, purdue)

They're just lucky I wasn't giving a tour as I'd probably just boast about my favorite place in the school, Necropsy.

Congrats to those of you who interviewed over the weekend. Fingers crossed while you await news!

I was on the alternate list for in state interviews and never got an invitation. Can anyone confirm my fears that I need to start hiding from the mailman again? I'm assuming that all hope is officially lost and it's only a matter of time before the rejection rolls in. They never hold additional interviews at a later date or anything, right?

Congrats to those of you who interviewed over the weekend. Fingers crossed while you await news!

I was on the alternate list for in state interviews and never got an invitation. Can anyone confirm my fears that I need to start hiding from the mailman again? I'm assuming that all hope is officially lost and it's only a matter of time before the rejection rolls in. They never hold additional interviews at a later date or anything, right?

unfortunately you're correct in your assumptions :-/

They said we would receive an email this Friday, right? Ahhhh so nerve-wracking!