Void or recieve bad score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketfalls

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on September 12th but I'm not getting the scores that I want on my practice tests yet. It's past the cancellation deadline so basically I have to take it, even if it is just for practice.

My question is should I void the test? I know I'm not going to get my ideal score and that my score will increase when I retake it in January. Still I'm curious to see my score. How bad is it to get the score back if it won't be the score you want?

Members don't see this ad.

Which is the more competitive applicant?

Applicant 1:
MCAT Scores

or

Applicant 2:
MCAT Scores

Well, I'm not an admissions committee which is why I'm asking this question. To me both applicants seem the same; I feel like a good score should be a good score regardless of how many times you take the test. Obviously that's not the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
One attempt 30+ is great!

A 25 on the first attempt followed by the 37 may need to be explained.

I did poorly my first attempt and had to explain it.

Will a 25 then a 37 keep you out. Probably not...but that 37 one attempt looks really better. To me, your range is 25-37 depending. 37 without another attempt is a 37!

Most schools say they take the highest but you cant tell me they would not like to see one high attempt as compared to two attempts with one high.

that's just plain common sense....dont grade crap!

Well, I'm not an admissions committee which is why I'm asking this question. To me both applicants seem the same; I feel like a good score should be a good score regardless of how many times you take the test. Obviously that's not the case.

The problem with that logic is, why should they believe the good score is the real score, and the bad one was a fluke? If you have a good gpa and so forth I'm sure they'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but it certainly is not as clean as a one-shot performance.

The problem with that logic is, why should they believe the good score is the real score, and the bad one was a fluke? If you have a good gpa and so forth I'm sure they'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but it certainly is not as clean as a one-shot performance.

How can you possibly know what score you're going to get though? I've heard so many times people who felt great and then got an awful score and vice versa.

How can you possibly know what score you're going to get though? I've heard so many times people who felt great and then got an awful score and vice versa.

Very true! It is risky. I have always been pretty accurate within 1-2 points. I guessed my score exactly last time.

Practice makes perfect.

You can't. The best way to predict your score is to have consistent practice test scores, which is why I have recommended not taking the exam unless you are hitting your desired score consistently in practice. I was just pointing out that the idea that "a good score is a good score" seems off to me.

I think you are really lucky!!

U can take the test and probably confidently VOID. It will be the perfect practice test in realistic conditions.

I think the general consensus is to take the MCAT when you're ready. The AAMC practice tests are a pretty good indicator (well the best we have) of how you might perform on test day. If they are not up to the score you want, you could just take the test and then void it, just for practice since you paid for it. I wouldn't recommend scoring it if you know you wont do well.

when I took it I was so sure that I need to void, but decided to give it a chance anyway and ended up with a score over 30, so I think as long the practice scores were near 30 it would be best just to let it get scored

I took mine yesterday, and I felt the same way that you are feeling right now. I'm not ready to take it, but I know it's a good practice to take it once to see what the procedures are like. I would recommend you voiding the test. I voided mine. I actually felt a lot better afterward. I know exactly what my weaknesses are. I mean I already know that by taking many practice tests, but for some reason when I took the actual test, it felt real.