Volk BIO Lenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scvcstar

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone selling any Volk BIO lenses?

I'm looking for a 14D and a 28D in particular. The going rate for new lenses is $188 but I'd like to save money when possible, and don't mind buying used as long as it's not scratched. =)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried the competitive product from Ocular Instruments? I use their 14D MaxLight lens and it works great. Plus I got a 20% discount because I'm an optometry student in the U.S. You should look into it. :D

I do have a volk lens but it is the Volk Digital High Mag. Hope you find your lens soon..

I'm also looking for a 28! If you find a good place let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm trying to buy a used one to save money haha. But of course our usual distributors have student prices (which is where I quoted the $188 from):

Pioneer International
Star Ophthalmic
Lombart Instruments

Hope that helps! =) And if anyone else sees this that's looking to get rid of some lenses...now you have two people to contact. ;) My priority is to get a 14 D first.

Why is the Volk 28D so much more? Is it a brand thing or is the Volk really that superior? I like the price of the other one but I don't know if I trust it. Can anyone shed some light on that brand?

Why is the Volk 28D so much more? Is it a brand thing or is the Volk really that superior? I like the price of the other one but I don't know if I trust it. Can anyone shed some light on that brand?

volk is far superior optically

many of the OI lenses are made of CR-39 plastic as well

volk is far superior optically

many of the OI lenses are made of CR-39 plastic as well

Dr. Bizzaro,

From what I've understand from speaking with the Ocular Instruments rep is that their MaxLight lenses are CR-39 (optical grade polymer), however I was linking the Maxfield series which are glass.

Speaking with other in the industry that vouch that the image from their MaxLight series (CR-39) produces comparable image quality as their glass. Some even say that OI's glass lenses produce less distortion at the edge of their FOV. Have you noticed the same?

My professors raves about their anti reflective coating.

Dr. Bizzaro,

From what I've understand from speaking with the Ocular Instruments rep is that their MaxLight lenses are CR-39 (optical grade polymer), however I was linking the Maxfield series which are glass.

Speaking with other in the industry that vouch that the image from their MaxLight series (CR-39) produces comparable image quality as their glass. Some even say that OI's glass lenses produce less distortion at the edge of their FOV. Have you noticed the same?

My professors raves about their anti reflective coating.

I've tried both the glass and plastic OI lenses, and compared them their volk counterparts. In general, the glass OI lenses produce similar images to that of the volk lenses, but for the price of the OI glass lenses, you can find a volk lens or volk super series lens (such as the superfield, or superpupil) for about the same price.

I find the AR coating to be of a much higher quality from Volk. OI's is ok, but no the best.

I've tried both the glass and plastic OI lenses, and compared them their volk counterparts. In general, the glass OI lenses produce similar images to that of the volk lenses, but for the price of the OI glass lenses, you can find a volk lens or volk super series lens (such as the superfield, or superpupil) for about the same price.

I find the AR coating to be of a much higher quality from Volk. OI's is ok, but no the best.

Are you referring to Volk Digital AR coating vs Ocular's HD AR Coating? I saw an article awhile back on magazine saying that the OI HD coating is far better in both protection against scratches and AR factor.