Volk vs Ocular Instruments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeFun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm starting ophthalmology residency soon. I've seen little info on the internet regarding opinions for Volk vs Ocular Instruments lenses. I've seen most people with Volk lenses, is this just because they carry a greater market share? However, Ocular Instruments seems to be cheaper, is this because they are lower quality or a smaller market share?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm starting ophthalmology residency soon. I've seen little info on the internet regarding opinions for Volk vs Ocular Instruments lenses. I've seen most people with Volk lenses, is this just because they carry a greater market share? However, Ocular Instruments seems to be cheaper, is this because they are lower quality or a smaller market share?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Both companies make a full line of very well made products. They compete so closely on features that in many ways they are indistinguishable. Both make lenses for indirect, slit lamp indirect, laser, contact and non-contact applications. For diagnostic lenses, you would be best to shop on price. Ocular Instruments are equal in quality to Volk.

If I recall, Ocular instruments are made of plastic and the Volk lenses are glass.

Both do the job, but I would consider demo lenses at the beginning of residency to see what you like. I was sorry I bought the Volk 90D, 78D, and 20D during 1st year since I really liked the Volk Digital Series and ended up switching to those lenses.

Volk will let you demo the lenses for a month- in fact, we had several sets of lenses for all the residents to demo. This was a nice gesture on their part.

Members don't see this ad :)
OI make both glass and acrylic lenses. Their glass lenses are excellent.

I recommend getting the black hand rings, whatever brand you choose, if that choice is available. I have used some of the bling-worthy colored anodized ring lenses, and while they look nice, they also reflect more light from the headlamp toward the viewer, in ways the old-school black does not. I find that unnecessarily distracting.