volume/heat/work relationships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazymedgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I can't look up the exact q right now, but this came up on aamc 9 and I'm confused.
something in the question resulted in this statement: because work is done, heat is absorbed as volume drops.

I don't know where this idea comes from or if it is based on an equation or something that I am missing...

Is it somehow related to the whole Carnot engine thing, which I never fully understood?

Could anyone venture an explanation?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I can't look up the exact q right now, but this came up on aamc 9 and I'm confused.
something in the question resulted in this statement: because work is done, heat is absorbed as volume drops.

I don't know where this idea comes from or if it is based on an equation or something that I am missing...

Is it somehow related to the whole Carnot engine thing, which I never fully understood?

Could anyone venture an explanation?

There is no law that says "because work is done, heat is absorbed as volume drops." The thermodynamics of gases really depends on two equations.

E = work + heat
work = change in PV

Also, you should know that internal energy (E) is proportional to the absolute temperature. And it's important to know which direction work is done.