Volunteer Experience vs. raising scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KrapYnot206

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need some help on my current dilemma. I know many of you may be in the same boat and I would just like some good honest advise.

I currently moved 3 years ago to a new state and am currently working as a research tech. I applied to the state school, my number one choice, but was rejected this cycle. I talked to someone on the admissions board and they pretty much said that I need to do volunteer work that will make me stand out, and show my desire for medicine. Here are my stats: 3.27 GPA, 29R (V:9 P:9 B:11) and I have done alot of volunteering as a mentor and working at a hospital. I guess this school wants to see my committment to helping others, and the things I have done are things that other applicants have done as well. BUT I was also thinking of doing a one year masters (ie Georgetown) to raise my GPA, and possibly re-take the MCAT, this would help my chances of getting into OTHER schools.
I am torn, do I spend most of my time volunteering in the community (which I would love to do) or do I spend the time raising up my numbers so I don't put all my eggs into one basket?

Sorry for the long post, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not do both? Go do some postbacc work (doesn't have to be the Gtown program as long as you take a decent load and rock the classes), and continue to volunteer on the side. I don't see how spending the majority of your time volunteering could help your cause as much as a year of 3.7+ work or a 34 MCAT. I'm sure you can volunteer 10-20 hours a week and do fine in courses.

KrapYnot206 said:
Hi, I need some help on my current dilemma. I know many of you may be in the same boat and I would just like some good honest advise.

I currently moved 3 years ago to a new state and am currently working as a research tech. I applied to the state school, my number one choice, but was rejected this cycle. I talked to someone on the admissions board and they pretty much said that I need to do volunteer work that will make me stand out, and show my desire for medicine. Here are my stats: 3.27 GPA, 29R (V:9 P:9 B:11) and I have done alot of volunteering as a mentor and working at a hospital. I guess this school wants to see my committment to helping others, and the things I have done are things that other applicants have done as well. BUT I was also thinking of doing a one year masters (ie Georgetown) to raise my GPA, and possibly re-take the MCAT, this would help my chances of getting into OTHER schools.
I am torn, do I spend most of my time volunteering in the community (which I would love to do) or do I spend the time raising up my numbers so I don't put all my eggs into one basket?

Sorry for the long post, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Perhaps they mean you need more clinical volunteer time that gives you direct patient contact. Have you checked out your area's free health clinics. Here is a link to all the ones in the US.
http://www.freeclinic.net

I would also say, why don't you take some more classes to boost up your gpa. If you have the time and the money, it could help your application.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amy B said:
Perhaps they mean you need more clinical volunteer time that gives you direct patient contact. Have you checked out your area's free health clinics....

Hospices are another good place to get hands-on experience.

a 29 is pretty decent. I'd work on EC and raising that GPA up. If I was a betting man (which I can be :D) If I was an adcom I want to see raised grades and additional clinical experience. It also wouldn't hurt to call the school you want to go to and talk one on one with their admissions dean or assistant dean to see what they want.