Volunteer Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahalopele

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does what type of volunteer experience you do matter for medical school admissions? For example, I was considering volunteering at a horse rescue center (I love horses), but would they prefer that I volunteer at a local hospital instead? Or perhaps volunteer at a therapeutic riding center? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you are passionate about and they will see it and appreciate that. Unless you are lagging in clinical hours.

Last edited:
While I agree with the above poster in that you should do what you love -- you do need to show that you care about people. Specifically, those less fortunate than yourself. You can continue doing the horse thing, but also find time to do something that shows your commitment to humanity.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course you'll need clinical experience whether it's through volunteering or paid work, but just as the commitees stated, you can major in anything you are passionate about. In that case, you can volunteering doing whatever you are interested in and hopefully it has much impact on you so you can write about it in your applications.

I'll be volunteering in a kitchen feeding the homeless which is not clinical experience at all, but it's a humbling experience to include in a personal statement or any supplemental essay.