Volunteer hours and LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

17B3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to apply to several post-bacc programs, right now GWU, UVA, UF and looking to add several more. My question is, what is expected regarding volunteer hours when applying to these programs?

I have a lot of experience in a clinical setting, >1000hrs, but all of these as an employee. I work for a medical device company, my time is split between covering implants in the lab and following up with patients in a clinic. Will they want to see volunteer hours on top of this?

Second question is regarding LOR's. I have been out of school for 5 years now. Will I need a LOR from a college professor/someone in academia? Right now I have two, both from physicians whom I work with on a regular basis.

For other stats, I was a journalism undergrad, 3.39 gpa - from a not particularly competitive state school. I was a varsity athlete all four years. SAT 1800. Took two science classes (neither med school prereq's afaik) one A one C. Trying to strengthen my application as much as possible beforehand but also trying to get this ball rolling sooner rather than later.

Members don't see this ad.