Volunteer hours and LOR's

Started by 17B3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

17B3

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am about to apply to several post-bacc programs, right now GWU, UVA, UF and looking to add several more. My question is, what is expected regarding volunteer hours when applying to these programs?

I have a lot of experience in a clinical setting, >1000hrs, but all of these as an employee. I work for a medical device company, my time is split between covering implants in the lab and following up with patients in a clinic. Will they want to see volunteer hours on top of this?

Second question is regarding LOR's. I have been out of school for 5 years now. Will I need a LOR from a college professor/someone in academia? Right now I have two, both from physicians whom I work with on a regular basis.

For other stats, I was a journalism undergrad, 3.39 gpa - from a not particularly competitive state school. I was a varsity athlete all four years. SAT 1800. Took two science classes (neither med school prereq's afaik) one A one C. Trying to strengthen my application as much as possible beforehand but also trying to get this ball rolling sooner rather than later.