Volunteer/ Intern/ Work Abroad: are they available?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Interested in international health-related volunteer work?

  • Yes

    Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

    Votes: 1 25.0%

  • Total voters
    4
  • Poll closed .

wannabedoc34

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone know any sites for volunteer/internships/work abroad that has to do with medicine (and not be a doctor), could you please list them. If you did a volunteer/internship, it would be great if you could explain the program and your experiences.
 
i have looked everywhere and cannot find anything at all. if you find something even remotely please let me know.
 
I haven't done an international volunteer/internship, but I'm hoping to at some point.

They are available, but many are very expensive. Even the internships are typically unpaid. Expect to drop a few thousand dollars (assuming you're going to be there for awhile). Also, many are of a religious (usually Christian) nature. If you google something along the lines of medical missions premed, medical missions pre-med, medical missions premedical, or medical missions pre-medical, you'll definitely get some hits. I'd post some links, but you'll get the same sites running searches like these. Also, if you have a preprofessional office, they may be able to hook you up.

I know that there are religious medical mission opportunities for premeds in the Philippines and non-religious ones in places like Nepal, India and areas of Africa. That's just the tip of the iceberg. And yes, I realize the irony of using the word iceberg 😛

P.S. Why abroad?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great way to see the world while helping people. I wish there were some free ones. Being a volunteer is expensive. more expensive that attending an ivy? 1000 per week on average!! It's crazy.

Phil Anthropist said:
I haven't done an international volunteer/internship, but I'm hoping to at some point.

They are available, but many are very expensive. Even the internships are typically unpaid. Expect to drop a few thousand dollars (assuming you're going to be there for awhile). Also, many are of a religious (usually Christian) nature. If you google something along the lines of medical missions premed, medical missions pre-med, medical missions premedical, or medical missions pre-medical, you'll definitely get some hits. I'd post some links, but you'll get the same sites running searches like these. Also, if you have a preprofessional office, they may be able to hook you up.

I know that there are religious medical mission opportunities for premeds in the Philippines and non-religious ones in places like Nepal, India and areas of Africa. That's just the tip of the iceberg. And yes, I realize the irony of using the word iceberg 😛

P.S. Why abroad?
 
i know of one site,they dont charge except for accomodation,but unfortunately all their programmes are in africa.Here is the link to the site.
www.buffalotrails.nl

wish you success.🙂
 
This doesn't have to do with medicine, but quite frankly not everything on your app needs to be healthcare related. i taught english in France for a school year and GOT PAID to do so. It was awesome, and I would seriously recommend this to anyone. The only real requirement was that you have taken at least a year of college french. You will be set up in a school and get a stipend of about 750 euros/mo. Some schools give you housing and some don't, it just is the luck of the draw and how small the town is where you are placed.
The program was through the French Embassy @ www.frenchculture.org
click education and then assistantship
actually here is the link:

http://www.frenchculture.org/education/support/assistant/index.html

Anyway, this the best thing that I did in college, and it allowed me to become fluent in french and to travel to almost every country in western europe.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
 
I shadowed with a radiologist in Paris this summer--I imagine you could shadow anywhere. If you're bilingual, you can volunteer at the American Hospital in Paris much like you'd volunteer in a US hospital.