Volunteer location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am hoping to apply for 2011-2012, but I am pretty weak on the health care experience. Besides shadowing, I am at a loss as to how to get more. I live in a small town with a relatively big university, so opportunities are somewhat rare. There is a volunteer program at the local hospital but it is notoriously hands-off. However, the physical therapy clinic at the same hospital is supposed to be great for hand-on patient experience. Would it be worth it to apply there? I have no interest in physical therapy, but if I combine that with shadowing MD's and DO's, would it be effective volunteer work/clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Try looking into nursing homes, hospice or any kind of free clinic. These should allow some patient contact and be a bit less bureaucratic.

If you decide to volunteer at the hospital request the ER as your area. Even though its hands off you can do some small things to help out and you see some very interesting things.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you decide to volunteer at the hospital request the ER as your area. Even though its hands off you can do some small things to help out and you see some very interesting things.

I did, and their ER volunteer spots are full. Oh well, I'll volunteer wherever they let me. They rotate around (so other volunteers have told me) so it's the best way to get my foot in the door.

Try looking into nursing homes, hospice or any kind of free clinic. These should allow some patient contact and be a bit less bureaucratic.

This x 1000. Hospice experience can be hit or miss. I'll go weeks without anything meaningful other than talking to patients, but every once in a while, you'll be a part of something incredible.

Playing checkers in a nursing home with a dying man with no family is better than restocking towels at a busy ED.

This x 1000. Hospice experience can be hit or miss. I'll go weeks without anything meaningful other than talking to patients, but every once in a while, you'll be a part of something incredible.

Playing checkers in a nursing home with a dying man with no family is better than restocking towels at a busy ED.

^^Definitely agree with this, why not volunteer and actually accomplish something meaningful while doing it?! I really think adcoms see that as much more valuable than the other random volunteer opportunities at hospitals.

You should try and see if there are any homeless shelters or even women's shelters, those places actually need volunteers and will let you help out a lot.

What city do you live in?

Maybe look into a free clinic in your city or the next city over. I enjoyed my time volunteering at a free clinic more than a large hospital.