Volunteer or Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gialuan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I come to you with another this-or-that question.

I'm currently working at a nursing home as part of the Summer Youth Employment Program. I've been splitting my time between Recreation and OT and my supervisor (from Rec) asked me if I'd be interested in doing part-time in the fall. She said she would try to squeeze in a few hours in OT for me. But I was planning on volunteering in the Hospital for Special Surgery in the Fall.

I feel that volunteering at the hospital will allow me to see more things in OT. In the nursing home, we have 2 COTAs and 1 OTR, who just does screenings. The COTAs do all the work.

So will it be better for me to work in the nursing home in the fall or volunteer at the HFSS?

Members don't see this ad.

im new to this side of studentdoc network, but from what I have read about the burnouts in OT, etc. I would volunteer at the hospital to see if OT will really interest you in 20 years or so. Like you said, you may have more variety in it. But I do know how you feel about the working part....we're all college kids here.

You will see more in a week at special surgery than in a year at the nursing home on many levels.

I know a COTA there, a very smart practitioner thanks to the experience there .

Members don't see this ad :)
You both have valid points and I agree with you. But I just redid my schedule and I think I will be able to fit in both work and volunteer. I'll be working the night shift at the nursing home and I can manage to squeeze in 8 hours a week at the hospital.

Although it would be ideal to do just one thing at a time, I think working for the nursing home can benefit me in the future.

Now here's another question (sorry!): Is there a difference between volunteering and observing? I hear that with volunteering, they get you to transport patients and such and you don't get to see much. But with observing, you get to see what the OT is doing without being interrupted. What are your thoughts?

That would seem a legitimate observaton, regarding observation :rolleyes:
You need to hear their definintion of what they do at that facility, but chances are you will have to help out w/ a little grunt work.

Heh, I guess it would be :rolleyes:. And you do have a point there. Every facility is different. Do most schools need volunteer hours prior to applying? Because I was part of a summer program this year and got to observe the COTAs. The OTR felt that since I'm not in the program yet, observing her and the COTAs would be "a waste of my time" because I "wouldn't understand what's going on" due to my lack of knowledge about anatomy, physiology and kinesthetics". While I do agree with her, isn't that case with almost every volunteer who's not in a "program" [of any field/profession] yet? I've noticed SUNY Downstate doesn't require any volunteer hours prior to your admittance to their program. Don't remember what NYU and Columbia's volunteer requirements (or lack of) are. How many hours have some of you done?

You both have valid points and I agree with you. But I just redid my schedule and I think I will be able to fit in both work and volunteer. I'll be working the night shift at the nursing home and I can manage to squeeze in 8 hours a week at the hospital.

Although it would be ideal to do just one thing at a time, I think working for the nursing home can benefit me in the future.

Now here's another question (sorry!): Is there a difference between volunteering and observing? I hear that with volunteering, they get you to transport patients and such and you don't get to see much. But with observing, you get to see what the OT is doing without being interrupted. What are your thoughts?

Hi,

Don't have information about volunteering and observing.
Sorry to asking a stupid question but can you manage both things your study and night shift duty, I am asking because I have heard from my some friends that they had also done same thing in past which you are going to do but they couldn't concentrate on their studies and they haven't get good results from their studies. So, I personally think that rather than doing both things just concentrate on your studies and try to achieve good results it will very important for your career.

Best of Luck for your studies !

:)

Hi,

Don't have information about volunteering and observing.
Sorry to asking a stupid question but can you manage both things your study and night shift duty, I am asking because I have heard from my some friends that they had also done same thing in past which you are going to do but they couldn't concentrate on their studies and they haven't get good results from their studies. So, I personally think that rather than doing both things just concentrate on your studies and try to achieve good results it will very important for your career.

Best of Luck for your studies !

:)

Thanks for your input. I'd decided to hold off the hospital volunteering until the summer. So I'll just be working 3 hours each on Monday and Wednesday, so it shouldn't be too bad. And don't worry, it's not a stupid question. I've had my fair share :laugh:.