General Admissions & OTCAS Difficulties finding OT observation/volunteer hours in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happynonsense

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm in the process of applying to OT grad school. I feel like my application is very weak right now since I don't have volunteering experience. I've been having difficulty finding a place to allow me to volunteer or observe, I'm guessing due to the pandemic and all. I'm currently in NYC and wondering how I can find these opportunities? I've asked around a bunch of hospitals and PT/OT offices saying they're not looking or they already have enough students shadowing. I've looked on indeed to try to find rehab aide positions and the few that are available are in areas like Bronx or NJ which is too far for me to commute daily (I'm in Brooklyn). If there are any practicing OTs in the Manhattan area who can help me out, I would appreciate that SO much! Thanks all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I don’t really know what the requirements are currently with observation hours due to COVID, but instead of observation I would suggest looking for volunteering. It might be a lengthy process but worthwhile and they may be open to taking in volunteers over shadowing.

If you’re set on doing observations, keep emailing businesses! On indeed, take note of all the OT/PT places around you, Google them, and either send an email or give a call!

Also, I would suggest that you regularly check MotionPT’s website (and indeed). They have many NYC locations and often are looking for a therapy aide :)

You can send me a message if needed, I’m from nyc and may think of more suggestions!