Volunteer programs in Central/South America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niemand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Finishing my first year of PT school and we have a short break in the fall before starting our first full time clinical. Was hoping to find an organization to volunteer PT student services in a Spanish speaking country. Anyone have any ideas?

My ideal situation would be finding a place where I could take an intensive language program in the mornings followed by afternoons in clinic working with local physical therapists. My school doesn't have any established programs to do this, so I turn to the internets...

Thanks for any ideas

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you don't speak spanish due to wanting an acute immersion program. I have found that most places prefer an intermediate level to speak the native language so you can actually be productive.

You might consider going to a language school. The majority of them will set up a volunteer project at local agencies which include hospital/medical facilities. Perhaps you can inquire to see if the clinic has a bilingual therapist you can work with while you're there. I've had a few friends go to Guatemala for language immersion, it's cheaper than most other latin countries and they've all had great experiences. I'm sure if you focus on medical spanish during your morning sessions you can get by fairly well working with a bilingual therapist in the clinic.

I wouldn't say that I speak Spanish, but I took it throughout high school and will have finished my second medical Spanish course by the time I go. I planned on finding a language school wherever I could find a volunteer opportunity. That way I could cement the language for a few hours each day before working with patients. I may just have to follow your suggestion and pick a language school and then hope for volunteer opportunities.

Hi Niemand,

my PT school does trips to central/south america, i know one of the programs they go through is hearts in motion (heartsinmotion.org). ...